Permit to Carry Handguns:
Applications for a permit to carry a handgun must now be completed online on the NJSP website. The Bernards Township ORI number is NJ0180200.
The fee for a carry permit is $200. The $50 fee payable to the State of New Jersey will be collected online through the application portal. A separate check, money order (payable to the Township of Bernards) or cash in the amount of $150 will be collected before your permit to carry is issued.
Please pay careful attention to the instructions! Fees paid to the State of NJ are not refundable should your application need to be withdrawn due to errors.
Firearms ID Card Applications and Handgun Purchase Permits:
Applications for firearms ID cards and permits to purchase handguns must be completed online at the NJSP FARS site.
The fee for a firearms ID card is $50. The fee for each permit to purchase a handgun is $25. Fees can be paid in cash or by check/money order payable to the Township of Bernards.
The Bernards Township ORI number is NJ0180200.
Help with the FARS site can be found here.
If you make a mistake while completing your application, please call us instead of creating a second application. Do not contact the New Jersey State Police.
Payment for background checks or fingerprinting is made online. Following these recommendations will streamline the process further:
Name – Input your full legal name exactly as it appears on your government issued identification. You also must provide any/all other names that you go by.
Choose References – Your references will be emailed a reference questionnaire.
1. Choose 2 references that are at least 18 years old and have known you for at least 5 years.
2. Provide an e-mail address, phone number and a home address for each reference.
If you are an initial firearms applicant, this department will need to receive both the Federal and State results from your fingerprinting before we proceed with your application. Once we have received your print results, we will email you with a request for the documentation listed below. For applicants who have previously been fingerprinted and already have an SBI number, the following information will need to be provided again if it has been more than 6 months since your last application.
1. NJ Driver’s License with current address or other documentation to establish residency.
2. Birth Certificate or US Passport to establish proof of citizenship (or documentation of legal residency in the U.S. such as a Permanent Residency/Green card or Visa).
3. Documents verifying any name change (Marriage license or court order).
4. If employed, a paystub (with financial information blacked out) or a contact person to verify employment.
5. Completion of an address history Residency Form.
If you are applying for a Firearms ID card and are considering the purchase of a handgun within the next 6 months, you should apply for the Permit(s) to Purchase a Handgun at the same time. Handgun purchase permits are now issued electronically and can be retrieved by the dealer that you use to purchase your handgun.
Firearms FAQ’s may be found here.