Departments & Services
The Engineering Services Building is located at 277 So. Maple Avenue, Basking Ridge.
Hours: Monday through Friday –
Engineering 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Planning/Zoning 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Zoning Officer 7 AM to 3:30 PM
The Engineering Services Department oversees the Engineering, Planning, Zoning, Fire Prevention Bureau and
Construction Code Departments. This department also administers the Planning Board and Board of Adjustment.
Close coordination is also maintained with the Agricultural Task Force, Community Service, Environmental
Commission, Shade Tree Commission, and other Township Departments.
The Engineering Department administers all land use and construction work in the Township. The land use
reviews range from an individual resident's zoning concern to the review of large-scale residential and
commercial projects. The site inspection staff reviews all development and Township construction. The
Engineering staff provides in-house designs for road maintenance, drainage, and bikeway/sidewalk programs.
The Department also assists the Board of Education with some of their construction needs. Township tax and
GIS data maps are also maintained by Engineering Department personnel.
Engineering Department 2016 Completed Projects
The Department completed the engineering design and construction project management for resurfacing 3.3 miles of Township roads during 2016. The roads included:
- Paddock Court and Wolf Lane
- Elizabeth Street
- Harcourt Lane and Coppergate Drive
- Birch Drive and Walnut Circle
- Fieldstone Drive
- Lone Oak Road
- Prospect Street
- Spruce Street, Ash Street, Pine Street
- Beaver Creek Court
On all projects listed above:
- Sidewalks were repaired and ADA compliant curb ramps were constructed
- Stormwater inlet and curbing repairs were completed
- Traffic control devices were replaced as needed
The Department also completed sidewalk and pathway construction projects including the following:
- Replacement of the asphalt path along Church Street
- Replacement of the asphalt path from the east side of Ridge High School and the
municipal building to Collyer Lane
- Replacement of concrete sidewalk in various locations throughout the Township
- Traffic calming on Lake Road at Brook Ridge Drive to relocate the crosswalk and alter the curb
alignment to improve pedestrian safety and visibility
- Additional projects included a bioengineering project to stabilize and prevent further erosion
of the stream bank of the Passaic River adjacent to Hardscrabble Road.
- The resurfacing of Annin Road and Canterbury Drive was delayed due to the Transportation Trust
Fund work shut-down by the NJDOT and the Governor. The work is scheduled for construction in spring 2017.
- The resurfacing of Douglas Road between Allen Rd and Liberty Corner Road was similarly
delayed by the Transportation Trust Fund shut-down, and is scheduled for construction in spring 2017.
Thank you for visiting our website. Please contact us whenever an issue is important
to you. The Township Committee and Administrator depend on your thoughts and comments,
to ensure that at all times our service offerings are community driven.