Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
December 16, 2015
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:31 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Jeanie Genirs, Tania McCabe, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, and Jonathan Vidler.
Absent: Lisa Marshall and Loraine Pires
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. SHORT TAKES VIDEO: BOARD ETHICS
Ruth introduced a video entitled “Board Ethics” that explains the various ethical responsibilities of Library Board members. Watching this video, produced by United for Libraries as part of its Short Takes for Trustees series, will count toward fulfilling the Trustees’ training requirement.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 15-49 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to approve the minutes of the November 18, 2015 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that 2016 budget preparation is underway with no major problems anticipated.
· Ryan attended a Verizon breakfast event at the Basking Ridge Country Club to learn about developments in the telecommunications industry in general and Verizon in particular.
· Ruth distributed pictures of a mural painted by local artist Caren Frost Olmsted that will be displayed in the Library. The mural, featuring the word “sparking”, depicts aspects of activities that the library conducts and inspires.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Jeanie Genirs
· Jeanie reported that 2015 spending is generally on track.
· The 2016 Budget does not look concerning. Increases are anticipated in the lines for building cleaning and computer equipment.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· Noah Ginter, President of The Friends of the Library, reported for Lisa that the Friends have formed the following subcommittees: PR /Marketing, Charter Day, Website Development, and the Fund Drive.
· The Friends are in the process of filling both the Vice President and Secretary positions.
· Noah met with Ruth to discuss The Friends fund raising efforts in light of the Library’s space reorganization. In particular, they discussed naming conventions and identification of potential donors.
· The next meeting of The Friends will be February 9, 2016.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Kippy Piedici
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Ruth reported on the bid opening for Phase 2 of the Library’s Space Reorganization Project that occurred Wednesday, December 9, 2015. MOTION 15-50 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tim Opremcak to reject all bids received on the project due to the lowest bid being unresponsive having failed to acknowledge the addenda document and all bids substantially exceeding the cost estimates for the project. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 15-51 was made by Tania McCabe and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to rebid the project. The motion passed unanimously.
· Ruth shared that the engineer investigating the excessive HVAC noise in program room has proposed a solution that may require bidding the project.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
· Tim reported that he, Ruth, Jonathan, and Ryan met regarding the Library’s website, specifically updating Drupal, increasing mobile friendliness, and tightening security.
· Following the Verizon breakfast Ryan attended, the committee discussed strategies to cultivate a stronger relationship with Verizon. Verizon promotes a strong commitment to the community, especially their programs for women in technology and service to veterans. They are also currently testing 5G technology.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
John thanked everything for volunteering to serve on the Board.
9. OLD BUSINESS
· In Lisa Marshall’s absence, Mary Jane gave the Nominating Committee report. The committee, chaired by Lisa, proposes the following slate of officers: President, Kippy Piedici; Vice President, Jonathan Vidler; Treasurer, Jeanie Genirs; and Secretary, Mary Jane McNally. There will be a formal vote on the slate at the January reorganization meeting.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 15-52 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by John Carpenter to adjourn the meeting at 8:36 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., January 27, 2016.