Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
September 18, 2019
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Zina Pozner called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Whippany and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: Jack Brull, Joe Esposito, Karen Kogut, Mary Jane McNally, Vivian Pagoulatos, Kippy Piedici, Zina Pozner, Doug Roberts, and Cynthia Yin
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin and Tim Opremcak
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 19-38 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to approve the minutes of the August 28, 2019 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Zina thanked the Director Search Committee, chaired by Kippy Piedici and including Doug Roberts, Mary Jane McNally and former trustee/Board President Tim Opremcak, for its work in conducting the director search. Zina praised the committee, whose members have a combined 50 years of experience on the Library Board, for its diligence and thoroughness.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth drew the Board’s attention to the following specific items in her written report.
· The Library has advertised for a part-time Reference Librarian. This vacancy was created when part-time Reference Librarian Amy Pasquariello was hired into the full-time position caused by Madeleine Roese’s retirement.
· Part-time Library Assistant Surekha Arekatla has accepted a full-time position elsewhere. Current part-timer Carol Hsu has increased her hours to 17-hours/week and the resulting 12-hour/week vacancy has been advertised.
· Children’s Librarian Dana Skwirut is leaving to take a position in another library. Ruth and Ellen Ryan have reviewed and updated the job description to have a greater emphasis on technology and service to tweens. The position has been advertised.
· After many months of work the Library has finally obtained the correct 5-year Security License for the Meraki firewall. This puts our license on the same timeline as the other MAIN libraries.
· All paperwork has been completed for The Falcon Group to perform the Capital Reserve Study for the Library as contracted. The next step is for The Falcon Group to schedule its onsite inspection visit.
· Leisure Learning has begun. Unfortunately, because of calendar anomalies this year, a session is scheduled on Rosh Hashanah.
9. TREASURER’S REPORT—Kippy Piedici
Kippy reported that 69% of the year has passed and 72% of the budget has been spent. There is nothing remarkable to discuss this month.
10. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Friends of the Library Liaison—Doug
B. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
C. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
o Mary Jane reported that she would email Board members a link to NJLA’s petition to increase funding for libraries in New Jersey.
o Kippy provided updated information about the Library Construction Bond Act. It is anticipated that applications will be available early November and will be due by the end of January. Awards would be made by the end of April. Applicants must show the source of matching funds.
D. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
Included in the Director’s report
E. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
F Technology—Karen Kogut
Included in the Director’s report
G. Township Committee Liaison—Joe Esposito
Joe reported that many comments on the Township Committee’s Vision 2020 survey were beyond scope of what the Township Committee can address.
11. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION 19-39 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Kippy Piedici to go into executive session to discuss personnel issues related to the Director’s Search. The motion carried unanimously at 7:58.
MOTION 19-40 was made by Joe Esposito and seconded by Kippy Piedici to come out of executive session at 8:49. The motion passed unanimously.
MOTION 19-41 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Joe Esposito to adopt a resolution offering the position of full-time (40-hours/week) Library Director to Lyn Begraft starting November 4, 2019. With a roll call vote, the motion passed 9-0-0.
MOTION 19-42 was made by Karen Kogut and seconded by Doug Roberts and later withdrawn.
MOTION 19-43 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to go into executive session to discuss personnel issues at 8:54 pm. The motion passed unanimously.
MOTION 19-44 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to come out of executive session at 9:03. The motion passed unanimously.
MOTION 19-45 was made by Karen Kogut and seconded by Jack Brull to offer Lyn Begraft compensation totalling $110,000, including initial compensation, a $6,000 increase after the successful completion of her six-month Initial Employment Period, and the salary match program. With a roll call vote the motion passed 8-0-1. Joe Esposito abstained.
12. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 19-46 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to approve the Bernards Township Library 2020 Holidays and Closing Schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 19-47 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Karen Kogut to approve the 2020 Library Board Meeting Schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 19-48 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Cynthia Yin to close the Library Friday, October 11, 2019 so that staff members can take part in staff development training and attend the Township’s employee Service Awards ceremony. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 19-49 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Doug Roberts to close the Library at 12:00 pm on Friday December 20, 2019 to align with the Township’s holiday closing. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 19-50 was made by Doug Roberts and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to adopt a resolution honoring Madeleine Roese on the occasion of her retirement. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 19-51 was made by Joe Esposito and seconded by Doug Roberts to adjourn the meeting at 9:15 pm. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., October 30, 2019