Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Zina Pozner called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Whippany and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: Jack Brull, Joe Esposito, Karen Kogut, Mary Jane McNally, Vivian Pagoulatos, Kippy Piedici, Zina Pozner, Doug Roberts, and Cynthia Yin
Also Present: Geralyn Begraft and Ruth Lufkin
5. EXECUTIVE SESSION
MOTION 19-52 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to go into Executive Session to discuss personnel matters. The motion passed at 7:31 pm.
MOTION 19-53 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to return to public session. The motion passed unanimously at 7:56 p.m.
Todd Edelstein was present as an observer only.
Matthew Grobert, R.S. of The Falcon Group summarized the Capital Reserve Replacement Fund Analysis his company prepared for the Library. He urged the Board to think of this document as a budgeting tool.
The process undertaken by Mr. Grobert included:
· Visually inspecting all areas of the Library, both inside and out
· Enumerating all items valued over $500
· Developing a replacement schedule – remaining useful life
· Calculating, using three different methodologies, the projected expenditures necessary to replace the items listed.
8. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 19-54 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Doug Roberts to approve the minutes of the September 18, 2019 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
President Zina Posner welcomed incoming Director Lyn Begraft to the Library.
· Ruth reported that the Library’s 2020 one-third mill allocation of $2,381,557.00 is down $18,929.74 from 2019.
· The FY2020 NJ Per Capita State Aid check in the amount of $11,677.00 has been received. This is an increase of $12 from 2019.
· The Library has been an active collection point for the Trex Challenge, an initiative of the Environmental Commission to recycle plastic bags.
· Ruth drew the Board’s attention to recent hires whose hiring will be acted upon under Personnel.
· Ruth also highlighted the section of her report describing the extensive programming offered by the Library during October.
· Kippy reported that 81% of the year has passed and 81% of the budget has been spent. There is nothing worrisome this month.
· Leaks in the roof near the cactus garden are being repaired under warranty.
· Township CFO Sean McCarthy has confirmed that the Library will be able to cover salary and wages until end of the year without needing to go into a reserve account.
A. Friends of the Library Liaison—Doug
The Friends will meet November 11, 2019.
B. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
Included in the Treasurer’s report
C. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Public comments and agency responses regarding the Library Construction Bond Act are scheduled to be published in the New Jersey Register on November 4, 2019.
D. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
MOTION 19-55 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Doug Roberts to adopt a resolution of Personnel Appointment of Geralyn Begraft, Library Director. The motion passed unanimously.
MOTION 19-56 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Karen Kogut to adopt a resolution acknowledging the hiring of Rashmi Ramachandran, part-time Library Assistant - Children’s Services. The motion passed unanimously.
MOTION 19-57 was made by Cynthia Yin and seconded by Doug Roberts to adopt a resolution acknowledging the hiring of Natasha Mikulich, part-time Librarian – Reference Services. The motion passed unanimously.
MOTION 19-58 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Karen Kogut to adopt a resolution acknowledging the hiring of Anne O’Gorman, full-time Librarian – Children’s Services. The motion passed unanimously.
E. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
o Capital Reserve – The Board will need to digest the information contained in the Capital Reserve analysis and continue to work to develop a sound fiscal strategy.
o Technology – Work will continue on the self-check project next month.
o Marketing/Relationship Building – No report this month.
F Technology—Karen Kogut
Included in the Strategic Plan Report.
G. Township Committee Liaison—Joe Esposito
The Township has been busy, but nothing directly affecting the Library.
12. OLD BUSINESS
· Zina asked the Board to review the Capital Reserve Replacement Fund Analysis and send any questions to Ruth for discussion at the next meeting.
· Ruth clarified that items highlighted in yellow on the pages she distributed are building items and those highlighted in green are operational items.
13. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 19-59 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to revise motion 19-49 (passed on 9/18/19) from an early closing on December 20, 2019 to a 1-hour delayed opening that day due to a change in the plans for an employee holiday celebration hosted by the Township Human Resources Department. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 19-60 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Doug Roberts to adjourn the meeting at 9:00 pm. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., November 20, 2019.