Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
November 20, 2019
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Zina Pozner called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Whippany and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: Jack Brull, Joe Esposito, Mary Jane McNally, Vivian Pagoulatos, Zina Pozner, Doug Roberts, and Cynthia Yin
Absent: Karen Kogut and Kippy Piedici
Also Present: Lyn Begraft and Ruth Lufkin
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
Todd Edelstein commented regarding the Capital Reserve Replacement Fund Analysis.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 19-61 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Doug Roberts to approve the minutes of the October 30, 2019 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
President Zina Pozner asked for a volunteer to chair the Nominating Committee. Cynthia Yin was selected by lot. As specified in the bylaws, Treasurer Kippy Piedici and Secretary Mary Jane McNally will also serve on the committee that will present a proposed slate of officers at the December Board meeting to be voted on at the January reorganization meeting.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth drew the Board’s attention to the Director’s report she and Lyn Begraft drafted that was included in the Board packet.
· Ruth and Lyn reported that a major accomplishment this month was to welcome recent hires and bring them onboard Library staff.
· Ruth also highlighted the section of the report describing the conclusion of another successful Leisure Learning semester.
9. TREASURER’S REPORT—Kippy Piedici
· In Kippy’s absence, both Lyn and Ruth reported that they met with Kippy to discuss the monthly Treasurer’s report. Although a few lines appear to be overspent, there is no cause for alarm because the budget as a whole is on target and will balance out.
· Ruth is disputing an invoice that arrived for repairs to leaks in the roof. This work was thought to be covered under warranty.
· Work on the smoke detector re-location should cost less than anticipated.
· Removal of the cherry trees in front of the Library and placement of new PVC drainage pipes allowed Public Works to investigate possible causes of long-standing drainage issues affecting the Program Room, and it is to be hoped, to correct them. DPW provided the labor while the Library will pay for materials needed.
10. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Friends of the Library Liaison—Doug Roberts
o The Friends met November 11, 2019 and approved funding for several projects requested by Library staff.
o The Friends are in the process of mailing out a follow up to their Annual Fund Drive appeal.
B. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
Included in the Treasurer’s report
C. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Public comments and agency responses regarding the Library Construction Bond Act were published in the New Jersey Register on November 4, 2019. The library community is awaiting specific instructions guiding submission of grant applications.
D. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
MOTION 19-62 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Zina Pozner to adopt a resolution acknowledging the retirement of Ruth Lufkin, Director. The motion passed unanimously.
E. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
No new report, but work continues on the three major initiatives:
o Capital Reserve – The Board will mull the information contained in the Capital Reserve analysis and continue to work to develop a sound fiscal strategy.
o Technology – Work will continue on the self-check project.
o Marketing/Relationship Building – No report this month.
F Technology—Karen Kogut
G. Township Committee Liaison—Joe Esposito
Joe reported that the Township Committee is reorganizing after the election and mayor’s decision not to seek re-election.
11. OLD BUSINESS
· Ruth introduced a discussion of the capital reserve analysis with an overview of past capital improvements and funding sources and a summary of the development of reserve accounts.
· MOTION 16-63 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Jack Brull to go into executive session at 8:29
· MOTION 16-64 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Cynthia Yin to go into public session at 8:41
12. NEW BUSINESS
· Zina invited the Trustees to attend the BTL Staff Holiday Luncheon December 11, 2019 from noon to 2:00 pm.
· MOTION 19-65 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Doug Roberts to adjourn the meeting at 8:42 pm so that the Board could watch the required harassment training video. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., December 18, 2019.