Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
June 26, 2019
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Zina Pozner called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Whippany and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: Jack Brull, Joe Esposito, Karen Kogut, Mary Jane McNally, Vivian Pagoulatos, Kippy Piedici, Zina Pozner, and Cynthia Yin
Absent: Doug Roberts
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 19-20 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to approve the minutes of the May 29, 2019 meeting as written. With Zina Pozner abstaining, the motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Zina expressed deep regret concerning Ruth’s recently announced retirement.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Two new members will join the Library staff soon: Amy Pasquariello July 2, 2019 and Lisa Fortunato July 15, 2019.
· All three Summer Reading programs are off to a strong start. Enrollment figures to date are: Children 808, YA 125, and Adult 70.
· Ruth made note of the recent passing of Lois Bloom, valued Library Trustee from 1/2004 to 12/2012 and Board Treasurer from 2006 through 2012. Two books have been added to the collection with bookplates in her memory on behalf of the current Board.
9. TREASURER’S REPORT—Kippy Piedici
With 46% of year having passed, Kippy explained lines where the spending level might appear to differ from what would be expected. Some of these lines reflect charges, such as the MAIN assessment, that occur only once a year.
10. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Friends of the Library Liaison—Doug
The Friends of the Library will meet August 13, 2019.
B. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
o Cynthia reported that the Township will pick up the cost of addressing the problem where the driveway apron meets South Maple Avenue.
o MOTION 19-21 was made by Cynthia Yin and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to authorize spending from Reserve line 9-01-LI-R01-C05 Building Maintenance Projects to cover the removal and replacement of concrete work at the end of the paths at the front and back of the Library, in an amount not to exceed $8,000. . With a roll call vote, the motion passed 8-0-0.
o MOTION 19-22 was made by Cynthia Yin and seconded by Kippy Piedici to authorize spending from Reserve line 9-01-LI-R01-C05 Building Maintenance Projects to cover the preparation and painting of interior HVAC ducts on the upper level of the Library, in an amount not to exceed $4,000. With a roll call vote, the motion passed 8-0-0.
C. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Kippy reported that Assemblywoman Nancy Munoz and Senator Thomas Kean have signed on to A3801/S2668 respectively. This legislation proposes an increase in per capita library aid.
D. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
o MOTION 19-23 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Kippy Piedici to adopt a resolution acknowledging the hiring of Amy Pasquariello as part-time Librarian—Reference. The motion passed unanimously.
o MOTION 19-24 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Karen Kogut to adopt a resolution acknowledging the hiring of Lisa Fortunato as part-time Library Assistant – Marketing, Communications, and Programs. The motion passed unanimously.
o MOTION 19-25 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Karen Kogut to contract with Pro Libra Associates to assist the recruiting effort for a Library Director to succeed retiring Director, Ruth Lufkin, in an amount not to exceed $10,000. With a roll call vote, the motion passed 8-0-0.
E. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
o Kippy reported that Karen Kogut and Karen Andriolo have developed a technology plan with milestones.
o Becht Engineering BT, which had been approved to perform a Capital reserve study for the Library, asked for changes in their contract that the Township did not agree to. As a result, Becht walked away from the contract.
o MOTION 19-26 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Cynthia Yin to substitute The Falcon Group for Becht Engineering BT, Inc. in MOTION 19-17 that had been adopted last month. With a roll call vote, the new motion passed 8-0-0.
F Technology—Karen Kogut
Included in the Strategic Plan report.
G. Township Committee Liaison—Joe Esposito
The Township Committee has approved hiring the two new Library staff who will start next month.
11. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION 19-27 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Kippy Piedici to amend the Library’s policy on compensation for Sunday work to provide for staff who work on Sundays to be paid at their normal hourly rate, in accordance with applicable laws. With a roll call vote, the motion passed 8-0-0.
12. NEW BUSINESS.
· MOTION 19-28 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Kippy Piedici to adopt the revised Policy Re: Use of Program Rooms by Community Groups and Organizations as amended. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 19-29 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to adopt the revised Patron Behavior Policy. After discussion, the motion was withdrawn.
· MOTION 19-30 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Joe Esposito to close the Library on Saturday, July 6, 2019 so that the HVAC ducts can be painted. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 19-31 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Cynthia Yin to close the library on Friday, October 11, 2019 so that staff members may take part in staff development training and attend the Township’s employee Service Awards ceremony. The motion passed unanimously.
· Zina appointed Kippy Piedici, Doug Roberts, and Mary Jane McNally to the Director Search Committee. Kippy will chair the group and will ask former Trustee Tim Opremcak to join the committee.
· MOTION 19-32 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Jack Brull to cancel the July 24, 1019 Board meeting. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 19-33 was made by Joe Esposito and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to adjourn the meeting at 8:58. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., August 28, 2019.