Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
December 18, 2019
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Zina Pozner called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Whippany and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: Jack Brull, Joe Esposito, Karen Kogut, Mary Jane McNally, Vivian Pagoulatos, Kippy Piedici, Zina Pozner, Doug Roberts, and Cynthia Yin [7:44]
Also Present: Lyn Begraft and Ruth Lufkin
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 19-66 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Doug Roberts to approve the minutes of the November 20, 2019 meeting as written. With Karen Kogut and Kippy Piedici abstaining, the motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Zina thanked Cynthia Yin for chairing the Nominating Committee.
· Zina acknowledged that this is Ruth’s last official board meeting and expressed her gratitude to Ruth for all she has done for the Library over the past 25 years.
· Zina announced that although she will be able to serve on the Board in 2020, she will not be able to serve as President. She thanked the Board for a productive year.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Two books on management have been purchased for the Library in memory of former trustee Robert Gale. Bob served as President of the Board during a period of major activity including the Library becoming a member of MAIN, expansion of the building, and The Second Century fundraising campaign.
· Ruth and Lyn met with Township CFO Sean McCarthy to begin developing the budget for next year.
· Debbie Merghart is closing out the year with no problems. As hoped, operational spending has evened out.
· Serious Fun, technology programs for adults conducted in conjunction with Bernardsville Public Library, will resume in the Spring.
· Many of the programs offered during December were designed to minimize stress. One of these events featuring Ridge High School’s A Cappella Choir, attracted over 100 attendees.
· The Teen Advisory Board (TAB) continues to grow with the November meeting attracting 17 attendees.
· The seasonal bulletin board in the Children’s Library will be the Library’s entry in the Township’s holiday door decoration competition.
· Lyn displayed the certificate she earned for completing a course offered by ALA in advanced library management.
9. PRESENTTION OF 2020 SLATE BY NOMINATING COMMITTEE
Cynthia Yin, Chair of the Nominating Committee, presented the following proposed slate of officers for 2020: President, Kippy Piedici; Vice-President, Zina Pozner; Treasurer, Vivian Pagoulatos; and Secretary, Mary Jane McNally. The slate will be presented for a vote at the Board’s reorganization meeting in January.
10. TREASURER’S REPORT—Kippy Piedici
· Kippy reported that the year is ending very well. She anticipates that we will end the year with a surplus.
· Unspent funds from 2018 totaling $101,918.22 will roll into the reserve account after the first of the year.
· Budget development is on track and awaiting some figures that are not available yet.
11. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Friends of the Library Liaison—Doug Roberts
B. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
C. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
D. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
E. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
No new report, but work continues on the three major initiatives:
o Capital Reserve – The Board will mull the information contained in the Capital Reserve analysis and continue to work to develop a sound fiscal strategy.
o Technology – Work will continue on the self-check project.
o Marketing/Relationship Building – No report this month.
F Technology—Karen Kogut
G. Township Committee Liaison—Joe Esposito
Joe reported that Carol Bianchi is concluding her term on the Township Committee. The Township’s annual reorganization meeting will be January 2, 2020.
12. OLD BUSINESS
· MOTION 16-67 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Kippy Piedici to go into executive session at 8:03 to discuss correspondence and the capital reserve replacement fund analysis.
· MOTION 16-68 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to come out of executive session at 8:53.
13. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 19-69 was made by Doug Roberts and seconded by Cynthia Yin to adjourn the meeting at 9:14 pm. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., January 29, 2020.