Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
September 26, 2018
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:31 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Tech Center.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: Richard Mazzio, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak [arr. 7:32 p.m.], Kippy Piedici, Zina Pozner, and Cynthia Yin
Absent: John Carpenter and Vivian Pagoulatos
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 18-33 was made by Zina Pozner and seconded by Cynthia Yin to approve the minutes of the June 27, 2018 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously with Richard Mazzio abstaining.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Kippy welcomed new Board member Richard Mazzio who will fill the unexpired term of Santosh Subramanian. Richard will be the Board’s liaison to the Friends of the Library.
· Kippy reported that the State Library is still developing guidelines for implementation of the Library Construction Bond Act that was signed into law January 2018. The latest estimate for the release of the guidelines is Spring of 2019.
· Kippy reminded the Board of the Trustee Institute that will be held October 27, 2018 in East Windsor.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Ruth directed the Board to her written report that outlined the Library’s myriad activities and programs over the summer.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Vivian Pagoulatos
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Richard Mazzio
Included in the President’s report.
C. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Included in the President’s report.
E. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
F. Policy—Zina Pozner
G. Strategic Plan—
· Jackie Barber presented the Board with a thorough review of the Space Reorganization project to date. As Jackie reviewed the improvements realized in the completed phases of renovation, she clearly illustrated the contrast between the old and the new.
· Jackie next distributed proposed floor plans drawn by project architects Arcari + Iovino that lay out proposed plans for the final phase.
· The Board discussed the various components of the proposal including possible priorities, potential costs and funding strategies.
· Anthony Iovino will be at the October meeting to describe the proposal in more detail and to listen to comments by members of the public.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
10. OLD BUSINESS
There was no old business.
11. NEW BUSINESS.
· Ruth summarized conversations with a vendor of self-checkout devices, a long-desired initiative of the Library. She will gather more information about various features and costs to present to the Board before it makes a commitment.
· MOTION 18-34 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Zina Pozner to approve the Bernards Township Library 2019 Holiday and Closing Schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 18-35 was made by Cynthia Yin and seconded by Richard Mazzio to approve the Bernards Township Library Board 2019 Meeting Schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 18-36 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Cynthia Yin to close the Library on Friday, October 5, 2018 so that staff members can take part in staff development training and attend the Township’s employee Service Awards ceremony. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 18-37 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Zina Pozner to adjourn the meeting at 8:49 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., October 24, 2018.