Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
December 19, 2018
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m. in the Bernards Township Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: Karen Kogut, Richard Mazzio, Tim Opremcak [by phone], Kippy Piedici, Cynthia Yin [arrived 7:20], and Zina Pozner.
Absent: John Carpenter, Mary Jane McNally, and Vivian Pagoulatos.
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 18-42 was made by Richard Mazzio and seconded by Karen Kogut to approve the minutes of the November 28, 2018 meeting as written. With Zina Pozner abstaining, the motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Kippy extended sincere thanks to Tim Opremcak for his service on the Board, completing more than two full terms as a Trustee since September of 2007. Tim was President of the Board from 2010 through 2014. Tim replied that it has been a privilege and that he welcomes questions or contacts if he can assist the Board in the future.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth mentioned the excellent publicity received for the Library from Vivian’s letter to the editor about teen programming.
· She shared a note of thanks from the Bernardsville Library for a duplicate book display that BTL received as a premium and passed along to them when the vendor declined to take it back and suggested we find a home for it. Also a letter from the Ridge High School A Capella Choir, who sang twice at the Library this season, expressing appreciation for the opportunity to perform for a wonderfully supportive audience.
· Ruth is reviewing the role of Library Assistant Marketing, Communications and Programming following the resignation of Donna McArthur.
· Ruth thanked Kippy and Karen for coming to the Library’s Staff Holiday Luncheon on December 12, 2018. This festive occasion was enjoyed by all who attended.
9. PRESENTATION OF SLATE BY NOMINATING COMMITTEE
· Rich Mazzio, Chair of the Nominating Committee, presented the following proposed slate of officers for 2019: President, Zina Pozner; Vice-President, Vivian Pagoulatos; Treasurer, Kippy Piedici; Secretary, Mary Jane McNally. The slate will be presented for a vote at the January reorganization meeting.
10. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Kippy reported for Vivian Pagoulatos
Overall the budget is on target. The general repairs, audio books/music, and computer supplies lines have had additional purchases charged against them in the past week.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Richard Mazzio
C. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
· Ruth reviewed the sheet provided by Mary Jane McNally noting that funding support for libraries is unchanged for the 9th straight year, at a significantly reduced level since the 42% reduction in FY11.
· The Assembly Appropriations Committee is currently considering A-3801 which has been introduced to provide for increased Per Capita Library Aid. S-2668 is the companion Senate bill.
· LibraryLinkNJ is now in imminent danger of closing because of the above noted lack of funding. Support is being sought for New Jersey Assembly Bill A-4815 which would provide funds to preserve full LLNJ services through the current fiscal year.
E. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
F. Strategic Plan—
G. Technology—Tim Opremcak/Karen Kogut
This committee met on December 10, 2018 and discussed 2019 budget requests for technology items and future needs.
H. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
11. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
12. NEW BUSINESS.
· MOTION 18-43 was made by Zina Pozner and seconded by Richard Mazzio to adopt a resolution in support of NJ Library delivery. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 18-44 was made by Richard Mazzio and seconded by Cynthia Yin to adjourn the meeting at 7:28. The motion passed unanimously.
· The Board members moved immediately to the Technology Center for a presentation by principal architect Anthony Iovino of Arcari + Iovino on the Conceptual Planning Project contracted with BT Resolution #2018-0234 on May 15, 2018. Tim Opremcak once again joined by phone, and four members of The Friends of the Library and six staff members, including Ruth, were present.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees will be the annual Reorganization Meeting scheduled for 7:30 p.m., January 30, 2019.