Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
April 25, 2018
President Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Vivian Pagoulatos, Kippy Piedici, Zina Pozner, and Cynthia Yin
Absent: Santosh Subramanian
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 18-15 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to approve the minutes of the March 28, 2018 meeting as written. With Zina Pozner abstaining, the motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Kippy reminded Board members to complete and submit their annual Financial Disclosure Statements as required by New Jersey State law.
· Ruth, Mary Jane, and Kippy will be attending the Annual MUF Dinner, Wednesday, May 2, at Luna Rossa in Bedminster. Kathleen Carr, former Head of Human Resources, Ocean County Library will speak on staff discipline and morale.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth called the Board’s attention to one way the staff celebrated National Library Week. Both the Make a Blind Date with a Book and, in the Children’s Library, Make Friends with a Book displays successfully promoted reading.
· Valerie Thornton will be promoted to Senior Library Assistant effective April 30.
· The sound controls for the new audio-visual equipment in the Program Rooms have been almost totally calibrated.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Vivian Pagoulatos
· Vivian reported that the cost of recent roof repair will come out of the general repair line.
· Edmunds, the Township’s management software, will be migrating to the cloud.
· Vivian noted that a Township Committee resolution to hire Anthony Iovino to consult on further space reorganization (Library Board Motion 18-13 on 3/28/2018) is on their 5/15/2018 agenda. His architectural consult fee will be paid for from the Space Reorganization - Reserve line (8-01-LI-R01-D01) but any recommended furnishing or light construction could be paid from bequest funds (e.g. the Robert Hull bequest).
· Kippy stated that Tim Opremcak will join the Finance Committee.
· The Finance Committee will complete a reserve analysis in May.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—
C. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
MOTION 18-16 was made by Zina Pozner and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to create a new full-time position, Senior Librarian – Emerging Technologies, as described in the distributed Job Description. With a roll call vote the motion passed 7-0-0.
G. Strategic Plan—Santosh Subramanian
Kippy reported that because of increased job responsibilities Santosh needs to relinquish the chairmanship of this committee. If no other Board member volunteers to fill the position, then she and Zina will share the role.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
10. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
11. NEW BUSINESS
· Vivian proposed that the Board embark on a letter writing campaign that would promote the Library in The Bernardsville News and other local news outlets. Vivian distributed a list of possible topics and the Board discussed possible timing.
· MOTION 18-18 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by John Carpenter to adjourn the meeting at 8:12 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., May 30, 2018.