Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
September 27 2017
President Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:33 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Vivian Pagoulatos, Kippy Piedici, Zina Pozner, Scott Ross, Santosh Subramanian, and Cynthia Yin
Absent: John Carpenter
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 17-33 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to approve the minutes of the June 28, 2017 meeting as written. With Zina Pozner and Santosh Subramanian abstaining, the motion passed unanimously.
MOTION 17-34 was made by Zina Pozner and seconded by Tim Opremcak to approve the minutes of the Special August 2, 2017 meeting as written. With Mary Jane McNally and Santosh Subramanian abstaining, the motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Kippy reported that Tim Opremcak, Scott Ross, and Santosh Subramanian have agreed to serve on the Strategic Planning Committee. They will provide the Board with monthly updates and present a more developed report at the March meeting for full Board discussion.
· Kippy stated that the Strategic Plan agreed on by the Board will drive budget initiatives.
· Next month Kippy will be looking for a Board member, who is not an officer, to serve with the Secretary and Treasurer on the Nominating Committee.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Ruth reported on selected highlights from a delightfully busy summer:
· Fellowship Village delivery service has started and is being very well received.
· Because of a retirement and long-term leave of absence, Ruth has posted a part-time (12-hour) position to cover the circulation desk more effectively.
· At the annual Township Service Awards Luncheon 11 library staff members (totaling 125 years of service to the Township) were recognized.
· LEAP, the new web client for our circulation system, has been launched. Staff members are learning and adapting as the system is modified.
· The Web development team has been making ongoing improvements to the website, especially The Friends’ page.
· Summer reading clubs continue to be active and busy—right on par with last year. To appeal to busy patrons whose time in the Library is limited, the staff is offering more passive programming.
· Eclipse Day celebration was a huge success—an extra commendable feat because it had been pulled together at very short notice after the HVAC project was rescheduled.
· The Chinese materials collection continues to be popular. Moving forward, Cynthia Yin will take over translation and cataloging tasks from Bill Lu who is moving out of the area.
· Voter Registration Day went well.
· Court mandated training on non-discriminatory practices must be completed by Board members by November 26.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Vivian Pagoulatos
Spending is on track this year. 68% of the budget has been spent while 72% of year has passed.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Scott Ross
· The Friends met Monday August 14.
· Scott reported that he met with Noah Ginter to brainstorm ideas for the group. Among them publicity, Charter Day activities, fundraising efforts, and technological improvements to current routines and systems.
· The Friends’ Annual Fund Drive Appeal is doing about the same as last year.
C. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
Cynthia reported that because of time constraints, the HVAC work to alleviate the sound issue in the Program Room had to be postponed. Work is expected to start December 18, 2017 and to continue through the middle of January 2018.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Mary Jane reported that the New Jersey Public Library Construction Bond Act authorizing a bond referendum to appear on the November ballot was signed into law on July 21, 2017. She distributed an FAQ sheet prepared by Libraries Build Communities that addresses many common questions that may be posed to library employees or trustees.
E. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
· Mary Jane reported that the new part-time custodian is working out well.
· Hiring a part-time worker to cover gaps in the circulation desk coverage was mentioned in the Director’s Report.
G. Technology—Tim Opremcak
· Tim reported that he and Santosh met with Ruth and Ryan McCloskey to review progress and set direction.
· The committee has finalized the equipment to be ordered for the new Tech Center and the order will be placed shortly.
· The committee will review the procedure book for continuity.
· The Library is moving to cloud storage which requires some staff training.
· The committee will continue to monitor website activity to promote effective service.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
10. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
12. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 17-35 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Cynthia Yin to approve the Bernards Township Library 2018 Holiday and Closing Schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 17-36 was made by Santosh Subramanian and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to approve the 2018 Library Board Meeting Schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 17-37 was made by Santosh Subramanian and seconded by Zina Pozner to acknowledge the closing of the Library Friday, September 22, 2017 so that staff members could take part in staff development and training and attend the Township’s employee service awards ceremony. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 17-38 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Zina Pozner to adjourn the meeting at 8:34 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., October 25, 2017.