Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
October 25, 2017
President Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:31 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Vivian Pagoulatos [arr. 7:36], Kippy Piedici, Zina Pozner, Scott Ross, Santosh Subramanian [arr. 7:32], and Cynthia Yin
Absent: John Carpenter
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 17-39 was made by Scott Ross and seconded by Tim Opremcak to approve the minutes of the September 27, 2017 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Santosh Subramanian volunteered to serve as chair of the Nominating Committee. As specified in the bylaws, Treasurer Vivian Pagoulatos and Secretary Mary Jane McNally will also serve on the committee that will present a proposed slate of officers at the November meeting to be voted on at the January reorganization meeting.
· Kippy also asked the Board to think about rescheduling the December Board meeting currently scheduled for December 27, 2017.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth is in the process of identifying a book to be placed in the Library collection in memory of Arthur ‘Art’ Soderberg, former Board of Trustees President, who died recently.
· The FY18 Per Capita State Aid check in the amount of $11, 554.00 was received.
· The Library’s 2018 calculated 1/3 mill is $2,399.932.00; up 0.74%/$17,730.00 from 2017.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Vivian Pagoulatos
Spending is on track this year. 82% of the budget has been spent while 80% of year has passed.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Scott Ross
C. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
· Cynthia reported that a fire alarm sounding in the early morning hours of 10/21/2017 was traced to an elevator switch/starter motor problem which was repaired at a cost $1,860.
· The contractor has done some preliminary work in preparation for the project to alleviate the sound issue in the Program Room. Work on this project is set to commence December 18, 2017.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
· MOTION 17-40 was made by Zina Pozner and seconded by Tim Opremcak to adopt a resolution acknowledging the appointment of Josiane Romera as part-time Library Assistant – Adult Circulation. With a roll call vote, the motion passed 8-0.
· MOTION 17-41 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Cynthia Yin to adopt a resolution acknowledging the appointment of Gregory Brothers as part-time Library Custodian. With a roll call vote, the motion passed 8-0.
The committee will present policies for review at the next Board meeting.
G. Strategic Plan—Scott Ross
Scott reported that the committee will meet to review the strategic plan.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
10. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
12. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 17-42 was made by Zina Pozner and seconded by Tim Opremcak to adjourn the meeting at 7:46 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., November 29, 2017.
· After the meeting the Board members completed mandated anti-harassment training.