Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
June 28, 2017
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:31 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
4. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Vivian Pagoulatos, Kippy Piedici, Scott Ross, and Cynthia Yin
Absent: Zina Pozner and Santosh Subramanian
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 17-22 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Cynthia Yin to approve the minutes of the May 24, 2017 meeting as written. With John Carpenter, Tim Opremcak, and Scott Ross abstaining, the motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Kippy welcomed new appointee, Scott Ross to the Library Board and to the meeting. With this appointment, the Library Board is at full strength.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that Library Assistant Linda Snidow’s last day was today. The Library staff celebrated her retirement with a coffee and cake last week. Board member Vivian Pagoulatos presented Linda with the Library Board resolution recognizing her 21 years of service. Trustee Mary Jane McNally also attended the celebration, along with Bruce McArthur, Bernards Township Administrator; Terri Johnson, Human Resources Officer/CFO and Kris Roser, Assistant HR Manager.
· Summer Reading programs are off to a strong start. To date, 735 children, 101 teens, and 49 adults have registered.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Vivian Pagoulatos
· Vivian reported that she met with Ruth to review the current budget. She explained some budget lines that might need some clarification. Next year we will need to increase the printing line because Donna McArthur is producing quality materials that are reproduced in house.
· The Finance Committee met June 14 to do an analysis of unallocated library reserves and bequest reserves. MOTION 17-23 was made by Vivian Pagoulatos and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to adopt the Library Reserves and Capital Projects funds allocation changes for 2017-2018 proposed as of June 28, 2017. With a roll call vote, the motion passed 7-0-0.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—
· Kippy reported that the Friends will meet Monday August 14
· The Friends’ Annual Fund Drive Appeal is doing well.
C. Land and Building—Cynthia Yin
· Cynthia reported that the repairs to the sewer pipe under the lower level hallway went very well. Work was completed on time and without complication. Additionally, the main water valve was replaced at the same time.
· Cynthia also reported that the Library is waiting for a quote for one of the options to remedy the excessive noise in the Program Rooms.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Mary Jane reported that the New Jersey Public Library Construction Bond Act (A222) passed the State Assembly June 22. The companion bill (S2171) has been referred to the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee. No date has been set yet for the committee to meet.
E. Personnel—Mary Jane McNally
· Mary Jane reported that the Personnel Committee met June 21 and reviewed the succession planning table. The committee also discussed recent staff economies including adjustments to staff hours and strategies for handling staff leaving.
· MOTION 17-24 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Tim Opremcak to acknowledge the hiring of Gregory Brothers as Library Custodian, effective July 17, 2017. With a roll call vote,the motion passed 7-0-0.
· MOTION 17-25 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Vivian Pagoulatos to acknowledge the promotion of Jackie Barber to Administrative Coordinator, Level 7, effective July 17, 2017. With a roll call vote, the motion passed 7-0-0.
This committee will resume in the Fall.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
· Tim reported that security software Sonic Wall held off recent ransomware attacks that hurt many organizations.
· Ryan is working with the Web team to refine the new website. Traffic is picking up.
· The committee is continuing to investigate upgrades to the audio/video technology available in the Tech Center and Teen Space.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
John stated that he is glad to work with everyone on the Board.
10. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
12. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 17-26 was made by Scott Ross and seconded by Tim Opremcak to acknowledge closure of the Library on Friday June 23, 2017 to facilitate the repair of the sagging sewer pipe beneath the lower level hallway. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 17-27 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Tim Opremcak to cancel the Board meetings that are scheduled for July and August. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 17-28 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Scott Ross to adjourn the meeting at 8:28 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., September 27, 2017.