Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
September 28, 2016
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Technology Center.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Tania McCabe , Mary Jane McNally, Kippy Piedici, Tim Opremcak, and Jonathan Vidler
Absent: Alyson Galusha and Lorraine Pires
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 16-36 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tim Opremcak to approve the minutes of the July 27, 2016 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Kippy reported on the New Jersey Library Trustee Association (NJLTA) Trustee Institute that she attended September 10. Of particular interest to her were sessions on legal issues and fundraising. Bernards Township Library will host an NJLTA meeting November 12.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that librarians from two MAIN libraries gave a presentation on downloadable resources during Bernards Township Library’s Staff Development morning. Library staff had the opportunity to practice downloading and working with various resources and services.
· The following Library staff members were recognized at the annual Bernards Township Service Awards Luncheon: Charles Home (15 years); Karen Andriolo, Lynne Hilf, and Mady Roese (10 years); and Jane McArthur and Beth Buley (5 years).
· Ruth reported that feedback from the NJLA Conference regarding the Weeding Watchdog program presented by Karen Andriolo and Karen Vaias was very favorable. Many attendees rated it most valuable and it was the best attended session in their timeslot.
· The Fall 2016 semester of Leisure Learning is well under way. The first day showcased the staff’s grace under pressure as they coped with power outages.
· Ruth called the Board’s attention to Donna McArthur’s eye-catching original poster for Library Card Sign-Up Month.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Alyson Galusha
· In Alyson’s absence, Ruth reported that operating expenses continue on track.
· Delays in the construction project mean that expenses for items such as meetings with the architect and rental of storage crates continue to accrue beyond what had been hoped.
· According to a recently received quote, the Library’s portion of the Direct Install work is $13,337.07, considerably less than anticipated
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—
· Kippy reported that the Friends met in August; their next meeting will be in November. Ruth thanked Trustees for donating to the Friends Annual Appeal.
· The Friends paid for furnishings for the newly renovated Technology Center and Teen Room.
C. Land and Building—
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Kippy reported that A1427, which would allow the voters of a municipality to approve an increase in the municipal free public library funding currently set at 1/3 of a mill, will be voted on tomorrow. Both NJLA and NJLTA support this bill because it gives communities with struggling public libraries an opportunity to increase funding levels.
E. Personnel—Lorraine Pires
Kippy reported that the personnel committee met 9/14/2016 and discussed current staffing, needs in the year ahead, and succession planning.
Lorraine will be working with Ruth, Ellen Ryan, and Karen Vaias on revisiting the Materials Selection policy
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Space Reorganization – Tania McCabe
Tania gave an overview of items that need to be completed including:
o Stairs construction – installing railings, painting, and resolving issues with the risers.
o Teen Room -- painting
o Door – needs re-painting
· Kippy proposed a Saturday morning retreat for trustees to re-evaluate strategic plan items and set the course for funding to complete Phase 2 and 3. Jackie will send out a Doodle to determine the best of three possible dates.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
The Technology Committee looked at different ways of approaching website design and is currently evaluating Stacks, a website development and hosting service offered by EBSCO.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business
10. NEW BUSINESS
· Kippy suggested some ideas to consider as we begin planning how to celebrate the renovated spaces. Some of the ideas that were floated include: a ribbon cutting, inviting local libraries, hosting a reception for larger donors, and organizing an internal celebration for staff. Both Kippy and Ruth encouraged Board members to pass along other ideas.
· MOTION 16-37 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to adjourn the meeting at 8:40 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., October 26, 2016.