Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
October 26, 2016
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:36 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Alyson Galusha, Tania McCabe [7:37], Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak [7:38], Kippy Piedici, Lorraine Pires [7:41], and Jonathan Vidler
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
5. SHORT TAKES VIDEO: STRATEGIC PLANNING
Ruth introduced a video entitled “Strategic Planning” that stressed the importance of strategic planning for a library and explained the trustees’ role in the planning process. Watching this video, produced by United for Libraries as part of its Short Takes for Trustees series, will count toward fulfilling the Trustees’ training requirement.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 16-38 was made by Alyson Galusha and seconded by John Carpenter to approve the minutes of the September 28, 2016 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· In preparation for the November 4, 2016 Board retreat, Kippy will share procedural guidelines and an Excel file with a listing of the strategic plan initiatives. Ruth directed Board members to the About Us section of the Library website for an electronic copy of the Strategic Plan. She also circulated hard copies to those Board members who preferred that format.
· Kippy asked for a Board member, who is not an officer, to volunteer to serve with the Secretary and Treasurer on the Nominating Committee that will be formed at the November meeting. The first reading of the Nominating Committee’s report will be at the December meeting and officers will be elected at the January reorganization meeting.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Ruth referred Board members to her written report.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Alyson Galusha
Alyson reported that nothing is out of the ordinary. Operating expenses continue on track.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—
Kippy reported that the Friends next meeting will be November 14, 2016. Ruth has requested a report by that date as to the feasibility of additional funding from the Friends for basic equipment for the newly renovated Technology Center and Teen Space.
C. Land and Building—
Kippy reported that the noise and airflow issue in the program rooms will be addressed after the renovation project has been completed.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Mary Jane reported that A1427, which would allow the voters of a municipality to approve an increase in the municipal free public library funding currently set at 1/3 of a mill, was passed by the Assembly. The companion bill S2633 is now in the Senate. Both NJLA and NJLTA support this bill because it gives communities with struggling public libraries an opportunity to increase funding levels.
E. Personnel—Lorraine Pires
Lorraine reported that she, Ruth, and Kippy met to discuss current staffing, needs in the year ahead, and succession planning.
Lorraine will be working with Ruth, Ellen Ryan, and Karen Vaias on revisiting the Materials Selection policy.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
Space Reorganization – Tania McCabe
Tania and Ruth reported on the status of the job. Many deadlines, from the initial deadline of June 8 to and including the most recent deadline of October 31, have not been met. Among items that are still incomplete are sanding and painting the stairs, installing carpet and other tile, re-painting new doors, and completing finish work on walls and floor in Teen Space.
John Carpenter recommended, and the Board agreed, that it is time to involve the Township Attorney, John Belardo.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
Ryan, Tim, and Ruth have evaluated different ways of approaching website design and are leaning toward Stacks, a website development and hosting service offered by EBSCO. Ruth is currently in negotiation with EBSCO for favorable pricing.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION 16-39 was made by Tania McCabe and seconded by Tim Opremcak to spend an additional amount up to $600 from Reserve Line 6-01-L1-R01-D02 – Space Reorganization – Construction for rental of library crates/mobile bookshelves to store local history materials during space reorganization construction (original motion 16-14 passed 3/30/2016 for “up to $1,480.00 for 128 days”; second motion 16-29 passed 7/27/2016 for an additional $600.00”). The motion passed by a vote of 8-0.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 16-40 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Alyson Galusha to approve the Library’s closing at 12:00 pm, December 23, 2016 in accordance with Township practice. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 16-41 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Lorraine Pires to approve the Bernards Township Library 2017 Holiday and Closing Schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 16-42 was made by Alyson Galusha and seconded by John Carpenter to approve the 2017 Library Board meeting schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 16-43 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Tim Opremcak to adjourn the meeting at 8:31 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., November 30, 2016.