Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
November 30, 2016
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:37 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Alyson Galusha, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, and Jonathan Vidler
Absent: John Carpenter, Tania McCabe, and Lorraine Pires
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin and Marcia Lubansky
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
5. BEHIND THE SCENES: MARCIA LUBANSKY
Technical Services Supervisor Marcia Lubansky explained the work of the Technical Services Department. She described how the detailed work done by this often unseen department adds to the usefulness of the collection. Marcia also stressed that the teamwork of her department eases and streamlines the workflow.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 16-45 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tim Opremcak to approve the minutes of the October 26, 2016 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
MOTION 16-46 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Alyson Galusha to approve the minutes of the November 5, 2016 special meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Kippy reported that the New Jersey Library Trustees Association (NJLTA) Executive Board meeting, which was held at the Library, was a smashing success.
· Tim Opremcak volunteered to serve as chair of the Nominating Committee. As specified in the bylaws, Treasurer Alyson Galusha and Secretary Mary Jane McNally will also serve on the committee that will present a proposed slate of officers at the December meeting to be voted on at the January reorganization meeting.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Kippy announced that Ruth will serve as President of MAIN for 2017.
· Ruth reported that the dedication of the glass sculpture in memory of Phyllis McGuiness on November 11, 2016 was a lovely event attended by approximately 50 people, including her three daughters.
· Ruth also reported that a 12 hour/week Library Assistant position has been posted due to a resignation in the Children’s Library and subsequent schedule changes.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Alyson Galusha
Alyson reported that there was nothing out of the ordinary. Operating expenses continue on track.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—
Kippy reported that the Friends met Nov 14, 2016. The Friends’ Annual Fund Drive is on track.
C. Land and Building—
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Mary Jane reported that S2633, which would allow the voters of a municipality to approve an increase in the municipal free public library funding currently set at 1/3 of a mill, is now awaiting a hearing in the Senate Community and Urban Affairs Committee. This is a companion bill to A1427 that had already passed the Assembly. Both NJLA and NJLTA consider passage of this legislation to be of the highest priority.
E. Personnel—Lorraine Pires
Ruth distributed a job description and rationale for creating a pert-time custodian position. MOTION 16-47 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Alyson Galusha to authorize Ruth to proceed with creating a part-time custodian positon. With Jonathan Vidler voting “No”, the motion passed 4-1.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Space Reorganization – Tania McCabe
Ruth reported on the continuing saga of the construction project. Among the lengthy list of incomplete items and concerns are safety issues relating to the transitions at the top and bottom of the stairs and the lack of a powder finish on the stairs. Ruth has reached out to Township Attorney John Belardo. She is also exploring asking for a change order to cover additional work done by Arcari + Iovino because of the repeated delays.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
10. OLD BUSINESS
11. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 16-48 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tim Opremcak to adjourn the meeting at 9:03 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., December 21, 2016.