Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
May 25, 2016
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:34 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Program Room A.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Alyson Galusha, Tania McCabe [arrived 7:35], Mary Jane McNally, Kippy Piedici, Loraine Pires, and Jonathan Vidler.
Absent: John Carpenter, Lisa Marshall, and Tim Opremcak
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin and Maureen Norton
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
5. PROGRAMS, PROGRAMS, PROGRAMS! – MAUREEN NORTON
Program Coordinator Maureen Norton presented an overview of the extensive programming offered by the Library. Her presentation focused on the three major categories: Adult, Leisure Learning, and Children.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 16-19 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Alyson Galusha to approve the minutes of the April 27, 2016 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Covered in Committee reports
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that the Library had received a donation in the amount of $3,500 from the AAUW’s annual book sale. The donation was deposited in the Friends’ account.
· Ruth also reported that the insulation project on the upper level should be completed tonight.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Alyson Galusha
· Alyson reported that spending is on track so far this year.
· She and Ruth met to review motions that will be presented for a Board vote later in the meeting.
· The Finance Committee will meet June 1, 2016 to do a reserve analysis.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· In Lisa’s absence Ruth and Kippy reported that the Friends’ booth at Charter Day was very active.
· The Friends’ meeting on May 9, 2016 was attended by 14 people.
· The Friends’ Annual Fund Drive appeal was mailed to the entire township.
· The Friends have commissioned a glass sculpture in memory of former Adult Program Coordinator Phyllis McGuinness.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
· The Library is continuing to work on identifying and retaining a suitable cleaning company.
· MOTION 16-20 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Alyson Galusha to approve the spending of $4,600.00 from 6-01-LI-R01-C05 -- Building Maintenance Projects, for repair and replacement of insulation and application of spray insulation in the upper level ceiling area between the front lobby and the back window, work to be done by Builders Insulation and Drywall of Edison, NJ. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 16-21 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Alyson Galusha to approve the spending of $10,510.00 from 6-01-LI-R01-C05 -- Building Maintenance Projects, for application of spray insulation in the upper level ceiling areas soon to be Teen Space, Reference/IT office, and Technology Center, work to be done by Builders Insulation and Drywall of Edison, NJ. The motion passed unanimously.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Kippy Piedici
Kippy announced that the Board will resume reviewing policies in September.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Kippy reported that over the summer Library staff will do a status check of items on the strategic plan. The Board will review and make resommendations.in the Fall.
· Space Reorganization – Tania McCabe
MOTION 16-22 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tania McCabe to spend up to $3,813.00 from Reserve Line 6-01-LI-R01-D02 – Space Reorganization –Construction for installation of data and voice lines in the new Technology Center, Reference/IT Office, and Teen Space by Maple Rock Communications. The motion passed unanimously.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
The committee has developed elements to prepare an RFP for the website redesign. The Township purchasing office needs to determine if competitive contracting is needed.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
11. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business
12. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 16-23 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Jonathan Vidler acknowledging closure of the Library at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 through 1:00 p.m. Thursday, May 19, 2016 to facilitate the repair and replacement of insulation and application of spray insulation in the upper level ceiling area between the front lobby and the back window, and in the spaces under construction (Teen Space, Reference/IT Office, Technology Center). The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 16-24 was made by Tania McCabe and seconded by Alyson Galusha to adjourn the meeting at 8:43 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., June 29, 2016.