Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
March 30, 2016
1. CALL TO ORDER
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Alyson Galusha [arrived 8:08], Lisa Marshall, Tania McCabe, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Loraine Pires, and Jonathan Vidler.
Absent: John Carpenter
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. MEET THE CHILDREN’S LIBRARY TEAM – ELLEN RYAN
Supervising Children’s Librarian Ellen Ryan gave the Board an overview of the Children’s Library. She outlined the roles and talents of each member of the Children’s Library staff, stressing how they work as a team to orchestrate a variety of programs and services.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 16-13 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tania McCabe to approve the minutes of the February 24, 2016 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously with Loraine Pires abstaining.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Kippy advised the Board that the New Jersey Library Trustee Association will conduct one of its three annual Trustee Orientation Programs at Bernards Township Library Monday, April 11, 2016.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth called the Board’s attention to the myriad of programs and activities in her report and answered questions regarding MAIN’s Polaris upgrade during a work day.
· Ryan McCloskey has implemented an update to the background of the public PCs. Ruth showed the Board a screenshot of the new look, which was designed by Donna McArthur.
· Bishop Janes United Methodist Church has indicated that it would be able to accommodate Leisure Learning sessions if construction work at the Library made that necessary.
· National Library Week will be celebrated April 10-16, 2016. Bernards Township Library will kick off the week Sunday, April 10 with a concert for all age groups.
· The Police Department reviewed a suggested change in the traffic flow of the upper parking lot and determined that the change would not be safe.
· Ruth reported that she is responding to comments regarding a scheduled program.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Alyson Galusha
· Ruth reported that spending is on track so far this year.
· Some adjustments needed to be made to a few line items in the 2016 Budget. The complete budget will be available to the Board by the March meeting.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· Noah Ginter, President of the Friends of the Library, reported that the Friends have approved a $50,000 contribution toward the Library’s Space Reorganization project.
· The Friends are gearing up for a town-wide mailing for the Annual Fund Drive.
· The Friends will be looking for help at their table on Charter Day, May 21, 2016.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
· The Township will be terminating the contract with the current cleaning company and rebidding the contract.
· Ruth reported that she anticipates receiving the design drawings from KeRi Engineering PC by the end of April.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Kippy Piedici
Included in Policy Committee
Kippy reported that because the Space Reorganization construction project places significant demands of both time and attention on the Library administration, work on updating the Policy Manual and Personnel Plan for Succession will be postponed until the Fall.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
o Space Reorganization – Tania McCabe
Ruth brought the Board up to date on progress. Demolition has started and electrical workers have been on site. A more specific construction plan and schedule are still forthcoming.
· Technology – Tim Opremcak
Tim reported that the group will revisit the technology plan as devised earlier.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
Tim reported that the committee met to discuss the plan for updating the website as well as the layout and furnishing of the new technology room.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
11. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business
12. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 16-14 was made by Tania McCabe and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to spend up to $1,480 from Reserve Line 6-01-L1-R01-D02 -- Space Reorganization – Construction for rental of library crates/mobile bookshelves to store local history materials in during space reorganization construction (up to 128 days). The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 16-15 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded Tania McCabe to adjourn the meeting at 8:38 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., April 27, 2016.