Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
January 27, 2016
Ruth Lufkin called the meeting to order at 7:33 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Lisa Marshall, Tania McCabe, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Loraine Pires, and Jonathan Vidler.
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin and Ann Babits
4. REPORT OF NOMINATING COMMITTEE
Nominating Committee chair, Lisa Marshall, reviewed the proposed slate of officers: President, Kippy Piedici; Vice-President, Jonathan Vidler; and Secretary, Mary Jane McNally. In light of Jeanie Genirs resignation from the Board, Lisa called for nominations from the floor for the now-vacant office of Treasurer. With no nominations forthcoming, MOTION 16-01 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Tim Opremcak to adopt the proposed slate of officers with the Treasurer position temporarily vacant. The motion passed unanimously.
5. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
6. THOUGHTS ON PATRON CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY
Ann Babits, Supervising Librarian Adult Circulation, presented an overview of the policies and procedures in place to ensure the privacy of Library patrons.
7. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 16-02 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tim Opremcak to approve the minutes of the December 16, 2015 meeting as written. The motion passed 7-0 with Lisa Marshall abstaining.
8. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· MOTION 16-03 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adopt the following resolution in compliance with the “Public Contracts Law and Regulations” confirming a contractual relationship with Baker & Taylor, Inc. for the purchase of books and other library materials for more than $40,000.00 during 2016. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 16-04 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Tania McCabe to adopt the Township of Bernards Employee Handbook of Personnel Policies and Procedures as amended and re-adopted by the Township Committee on January 4, 2016 as the Employee Handbook for all Library employees. The motion passed unanimously.
9. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Ruth reported that the Library will livestream the TED2016: DREAM Conference at the Library Thursday, February 18, 2016.
10. COMMITTEE REPORTS
· In the absence of a Treasurer, Kippy will be pinch hitting until the position is filled.
· The temporary budget is available for the Library to operate normally; Ruth will present the full 2016 budget in February.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· The Friends are planning their activities for Charter Day.
· The next meeting of The Friends will be Monday, February 8, 2016.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
MOTION 16-05 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Lisa Marshall to spend up to $8,500.00 (to include Reimbursable Expenses as Required) from Reserve Line 6-01-LI-R01-C05 - Building Maintenance Projects to hire KeRi Engineering PC to produce design documents for implementation of Option 2 to mitigate noise and improve air flow in the Program Rooms as described in their earlier feasibility study. The motion passed unanimously.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Kippy Piedici
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
MOTION 16-06 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tim Opremcak to move forward with a contract for Library Space Reorganization to Fine Wall Corporation of Iselin, NJ in the amount of $203,550.00 to be paid from Reserve Line 6-01-LI-R01-D02 – Space Reorganization – Construction and from 6-01-LI-R02-000 Bequest Reserve Lines pending review by the Township Attorney John Belardo. The motion passed unanimously.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
Tim reported that work on the website has been completed. Ryan is making the final checks.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
John reported that Alyson Galusha will be appointed to the Library Board to complete Jeanie Genirs’ unexpired term.
11. OLD BUSINESS
· Ruth reminded the Board members that they have access to Trustee Academy, a series of trustee education webinars, courtesy of the New Jersey Library Trustee Association. Time spent viewing these videos counts toward the annual trustee education requirement.
· Ruth also called the Board’s attention to the various electronic newsletters that are listed on the Library website. Members of the public are able to sign up to receive any of these newsletters.
12. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 16-07 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to support scheduling a staff development half-day in June. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 16-08 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tim Opremcak to adjourn the meeting at 8:57 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., February 24, 2016.