Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
February 24, 2016
· Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
· Kippy welcomed new Trustee Alyson Galusha to the Board.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Alyson Galusha, Lisa Marshall, Tania McCabe, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, and Jonathan Vidler.
Absent: Loraine Pires
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
Ruth introduced Victor Mendizabal who will serve in the role of Clerk of the Works, a liaison between the Library and Fine Wall, the contractor for Phase 2 of the Space Reorganization project
5. SHORT TAKES VIDEO: LIBRARY POLICIES
Ruth introduced a video entitled “Library Policies” that explains the reason for and process of developing library policies. Watching this video, produced by United for Libraries as part of its Short Takes for Trustees series, will count toward fulfilling the Trustees’ training requirement.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 16-09 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Lisa Marshall to approve the minutes of the January 27, 2016 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously with Alyson Galusha abstaining.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· MOTION 16-10 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to elect Alyson Galusha treasurer. The motion passed unanimously.
· Kippy announced appointments to the standing committees.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that the Library functioned well during her two-week vacation because of the excellent staff.
· The Library’s annual report to the State Library is ready for submission. These compiled statistics are used by the State Library to calculate per capita aid funding.
· MAIN will be down for updating during the day February 25, 2016.
· Library staff reports that downloadable ebook usage is on the rebound after a disruptive change in vendor. The 2015 figure is almost up to the 2014 level.
· The newly launched browsing collection of books in Chinese is circulating well.
· The Basking Ridge Garden Club will once again assume care of the garden on the Lindbergh Lane side of the building.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
· Alyson Galusha has agreed to serve as Treasurer.
· Ruth reported that expenses to date are as expected.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· The Friends met Monday, February 8, 2016 to develop plans for the Annual Fund Drive.
· The Friends are planning their activities for Charter Day, May 21, 2016.
· The Friends are also working to update their website.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Ruth reported that she is waiting for design drawings from KeRi Engineering PC to proceed with the noise mitigation and air flow improvement project in the Program Rooms.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Mary Jane had no report, but Ruth shared the breaking news that President Obama has nominated Carla Hayden, CEO of the Enoch Pratt Free Library, to serve as the next Librarian of Congress.
E. Personnel—Kippy Piedici
Kippy described her plan to work on two policies simultaneously.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· There will be a pre-construction meeting soon with a representative from Arcari & Iovino, a representative from Fine Wall, Township Purchasing Agent Francis Decibus, Victor Mendizabal and Ruth.
· MOTION 16-11 made by Tania McCabe and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to spend an additional amount up to $3,950.00 (To include Reimbursable Expenses as Required) from Reserve Line 5-01-LI-R01-D01 – Space Reorganization – Professional Services to hire Arcari & Iovino Architects, PC to provide enhanced construction period services for the Library, as per their proposal of February 22, 2016. The motion passed unanimously.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
Tim reported that Ryan McCloskey, Ruth, and he met regarding Library back-ups, Windows 10, and website design updates.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
John thanked Alyson Galusha for volunteering her services on the Board.
11. OLD BUSINESS
Ruth reviewed the 2016 budget.
12. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 16-12 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to adjourn the meeting at 9:08 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., March 30, 2016.