of the Bernards Township Library
December 21, 2016
Vice President Jonathan Vidler called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Alyson Galusha, Tania McCabe, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Lorraine Pires, and Jonathan Vidler
Absent: John Carpenter and Kippy Piedici
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 16-49 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Alyson Galusha to approve the minutes of the November 30, 2016 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth announced that Ellen Ryan submitted one of 25 successful applications for a TEI Landmark Audio Children’s Literacy Grant of $1,000.00. There were 300 applications in total. The Children’s Library will use the award for STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics) programming.
· Ruth read a thank you note from Barbara Retzko, Choral Music Teacher at Ridge High School for the A Capella Choir performance at the Library on 12/5/2016.
8. PRESENTATION OF SLATE BY NOMINATING COMMITTEE
Tim Opremcak, Chair of the Nominating Committee presented the following proposed slate of officers: President, Kippy Piedici; Vice President, Jonathan Vidler; Secretary, Mary Jane McNally; and Treasurer, Alyson Galusha. The slate will be presented for a vote at the January reorganization meeting.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Alyson Galusha
Alyson reported that there was a one-time accounting error regarding payroll coding. Safeguards have been put in place so this error will not happen again.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—
A check from the Bloomberg organization for $10,700.00 was received in December by the Friends on behalf of two Bloomberg employees who are local residents and volunteered with the Friends of the Library at least 50 hours over the course of the year. The Friends are doubly grateful.
C. Land and Building—
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Lorraine Pires
· The 12-hour-a-week assistant will start January 4, 2017 in the Children’s Library.
· The part-time custodian position has been advertised, but so far there have been no applicants.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Adopt Strategic Plan Results Report
MOTION 16-50 was made by Alyson Galusha and seconded by Tim Opremcak to adopt the “Bernards Township Library Strategic Plan 2012-2015 Results Report”. The motion passed unanimously. Ruth will ask the Ivy Group for a proposal to look at the report for suggestions regarding an extended plan.
· Space Reorganization – Tania McCabe
Ruth reported on the continuing saga of the construction project. Among the lengthy list of incomplete items and concerns are safety issues relating to the transitions at the top and bottom of the stairs and the lack of a powder finish on the stairs. Township Attorney John Belardo has written a letter to the bonding company to address the contractor’s lack of response. .
Ruth is asking for a change order to cover additional work done by Arcari + Iovino because of the repeated delays.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
10. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
11. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 16-51 was made by Tania McCabe and seconded by Tim Opremcak to spend an additional amount up to $2,000.00 (To Include Reimbursable Expenses as Required) from Reserve Line 6-01-LI-R01-D01 – Space Reorganization – Professional Services to cover additional architectural services for construction project management and time extension for completion of project for Arcari & Iovino Architects, PC, as per their proposal of December 5, 2016. With a roll call vote, the motion passed 6-0.
· MOTION 16-52 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Alyson Galusha to approve the MAIN membership agreement for 2017. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 16-53 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Tania McCabe to adjourn the meeting at 8:20 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., January 25, 2017.