Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees

of the Bernards Township Library

April 27, 2016

 

 

1.     CALL TO ORDER

Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:37 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Program Room A.

 

 

2.     SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER

In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville and the Courier News, Somerville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.

 

 

3.     ROLL CALL

Present:  Alyson Galusha, Tania McCabe, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Loraine Pires, and Jonathan Vidler.

Absent:  John Carpenter and Lisa Marshall

Also Present: Ruth Lufkin

 

 

4.     PUBLIC COMMENT

There was no public comment.

 

 

5.     SHORT TAKES VIDEO:  EVALUATING THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR

Ruth introduced a video entitled “Evaluating the Library Director” that stressed the value of and suggested methods of evaluating the library director.  Watching this video, produced by United for Libraries as part of its Short Takes for Trustees series, will count toward fulfilling the Trustees’ training requirement.

 

 

6.     APPROVAL OF MINUTES

MOTION 16-16 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tim Opremcak to approve the minutes of the March 30, 2016 meeting as written.  The motion passed unanimously.

 

 

7.     PRESIDENT’S REPORT

·         Kippy reported on the New Jersey Library Trustee Association (NJLTA) Annual Trustee Orientation Program, which was held at Bernards Township Library Monday, April 11, 2016.  Approximately 23 trustees from several neighboring counties attended.

·         NJLTA’s Annual Trustee Institute will be Saturday, September 10, 2016 at the National Conference Center of East Windsor.

·         Kippy reminded the Board to complete and return to her the director evaluation form that she emailed earlier in the week.  The evaluation, which covers the period from June 1, 2015 to May 31, 2016, must be returned to Kippy by Wednesday, May 4, 2016.  

 

 

8.     DIRECTOR’S REPORT

·         Ruth reported that the Library celebrated National Library Week with many activities ranging from a community jigsaw puzzle to special programming.   Many of the items distributed during the week bore the Library’s new branding; two posters featured original designs by Donna Mc Arthur. 

·         The 2016 budget lines have been filled in.  Because the actual figures for the health benefits and pension lines were a little larger than expected, some other lines were adjusted to bring the total back to the 1/3 mil allocation. 

·         The Library has begun to use and promote MyHeritage, a new genealogical resource provided by MAIN.

 

 

9.     COMMITTEE REPORTS

A.    Treasurer/Finance—Alyson Galusha

·         Alyson reported that spending is on track so far this year.

·         The Finance Committee will meet June 1, 2016 to do a reserve analysis.

 

B.    Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall

·         In Lisa’s absence Ruth and Kippy reported that the Friends’ next meeting will be May 9, 2016.

·         The Friends will be looking for help at their table on Charter Day, Saturday, May 21, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.  Ruth will send out a Doodle.

 

C.   Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler

Covered in the Director’s report

 

D.   Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally

No report

 

E.   Personnel—Kippy Piedici

Covered in the President’s report

 

F.   Policy—

No report

 

G.   Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici

o    Space Reorganization – Tania McCabe

Ruth briefed the Board on Phase 2 construction progress to date.  MOTION 16-17 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to close the Library from 1:00 p.m. Friday, April 29, 2016 through Saturday, April 30, 2016 and from 5:00 – 9:00 p.m. Thursday, May 5, 2016 to facilitate installation of the upper level ceiling grid and tiles.  The motion passed unanimously.

 

H.   Technology—Tim Opremcak

o    Tim stated that that most of the committee’s work was covered in Director’s report.

o    The group is preparing to survey patrons regarding website usefulness in preparation for the website redesign.

o    Ruth shared pictures of chairs and tables that are under consideration for both the Technology Room and the Teen Room. 

o     

I.      Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter

No report

 

 

11.  OLD BUSINESS

There was no Old Business.

 

12.  NEW BUSINESS

·         MOTION 16-18 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to adjourn the meeting at  8:43 p.m.  The motion passed unanimously.

·         The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., May 25, 2016.