Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
September 30, 2015
1. CALL TO ORDER
Jonathan Vidler called the meeting to order at 7:33 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter [by phone 7:50], Jeanie Genirs, Lisa Marshall, Tania McCabe, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici [by phone 7:50], and Jonathan Vidler.
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. VIDEO: “Rights and Responsibilities of Volunteers” – training required by the Township’s Joint Insurance Fund
Ruth introduced a video entitled “Rights and Responsibilities of Volunteers” This video, is required viewing for all Township volunteers.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 15-32 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to approve the minutes of the June 24, 2015 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Kippy reported that she and Ruth attended a workshop on September 29 entitled “Build a Better Board” organized by the New Jersey State Library and partners and conducted by Nancy Davis and Pam Fitzgerald of the Ivy Group. This session addressed the cycle of self-assessment and emphasized the importance of having a training component at every board meeting.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that Ellen Ryan has assumed the Supervising Librarian - Children’s Library position.
· Dana Skwirut has started as Children’s Librarian.
· Ann Babits, Jackie Barber, and Ellen Ryan worked with Ruth to revise the former “Emergency Manual” now known as the “In-Charge Manual.” This document will be available at both circulation desks. Jackie Barber has been assigned the responsibility of keeping it up to date.
· The per capita state aid check in the amount of $11,655 was mailed today.
· The Library’s 1/3 mil figures will be available later this week.
· 2016 budget preparation will begin soon and is expected to be ready by the end of November.
· Some patrons have broached the idea of a memorial to Phyllis McGuinness in the Library.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Jeanie Genirs
Jeanie reported that expenses are tracking fairly well. The general repair line is the only one to keep an eye on.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
The Friends of the Library met August 10, 2015.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
· MOTION 15-33 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to confirm the emergent spending of $3,338.00 from Reserve Line 5-01-LI-R01-C06 to replace Program Room tables when a public safety issue was discovered in July. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 15-34 was made by Jeanie Genirs and seconded by Lisa Marshall to spend up to $12,000.00 from Reserve Line 5-01-LI-R01-C05 for Rooftop kneewall renovation. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 15-35 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Tania McCabe to spend up to $37,000 from Reserve Line 5-01-LI-R01-C05 for the removal and replacement of the shingled portion of the roof. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTIO 15-36 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to spend up to $7,300.00 from Reserve Line 5-01-LI-R01-C05 to evaluate and identify sources of noise from the AC system in the Program Rooms and make recommendations to mitigate the problems. The motion passed unanimously.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Kippy Piedici
· MOTION 15-37 was made by Jeanie Genirs and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adopt a Resolution acknowledging the hiring of Dana Skwirut as Children’s Services Librarian. The motion passed unanimously.
F. Policy—Mary Jane McNally
· Mary Jane reported that she and Ruth conferred to set some priorities for policy review. They determined that the Confidentiality Statement and Unattended Children Policy need minor review and the Materials Selection Policy is in need of more extensive updating.
· Mary Jane also asked Board members to return their policy binders so the recently adopted Circulation Policy can be added and obsolete policies can be removed.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Ruth reported that Phase I is progressing. Prep work is underway to get the space ready for completion by Thanksgiving. Staff members are brainstorming a new name for the room.
· Ruth and the committee met with Project Architect Mel Sarkor-Clinton from Arcari + Iovino to review preliminary drawings for Phase 2. There will be an additional $4,000 charge to design the staircase flush against the wall.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
Tim met with Ryan McCloskey, and Ruth to develop technology budget priorities.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 15-38 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Tania McCabe to accept the amended Bylaws. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 15-39 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adjourn the meeting at 9:04 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., October 28, 2015.