Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
November 18, 2015
1. CALL TO ORDER
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Jeanie Genirs, Lisa Marshall (called in 7:50), Tania McCabe, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Lorraine Pires, and Jonathan Vidler (by phone).
Also Present: Karen Andriolo and Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment, but Kippy welcomed Lorriane Pires to the Board of Trustees. Lorraine is filling an unexpired term ending 12/31/2015.
5. TEEN SERVICES AT BTL
Senior Librarian Karen Andriolo gave the Board an overview of Teen Services at Bernards Township Library. She highlighted the Teen Advisory Board (TAB), a range of teen programs, and the teens’ ideas for their area in the reconfigured first floor.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 15-42 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Tania McCabe to approve the minutes of the October 28, 2015 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· As specified in the bylaws, Kippy appointed a Nominating Committee consisting of Treasurer Jeanie Genirs, Secretary Mary Jane McNally and chair Lisa Marshall that will present a proposed slate of officers at the December meeting.
· Kippy invited Board members to a Holiday celebration at 6:30, December 16, an hour before the Board meeting.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth distributed health oriented brochures, created by Lynn Hilf and Donna McArthur, that were initially distributed at the Live Well Fair (55+) November 10, 2015.
· Ryan is working on a splash page so someone making an initial connection to the wi-fi will be directed to the Library’s home page.
· Ruth and Mary Jane attended the MUF meeting at New Providence Public Library this afternoon.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Jeanie Genirs
· Jeanie reported that the general plant line is running high, but not at an alarming rate.
· Conversations have started regarding the 2016 Budget.
· $50,000 in unallocated funds from various sources will be moved into allocated reserve lines.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· Lisa reported that The Friends of the Library annual fund drive has raised $34,179.49 to date. This is more than last year’s comparable figure of $28,111.88 but a little less than the 2013 comparable of $35,506.65.
· The Friends met November 9, 2015 and agreed to fund a Chinese language materials collection and to underwrite the digitization of historical VHS programs.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
· The work on the roof is progressing. The kneewall renovation project has been completed and replacement of the shingled roof is underway.
· Ruth reported that the fence between the library and its nearest neighbor has deteriorated and completely broken away in places. This fence has been in place since the parking lot expansion in 1990. After exploring the option of repairing a section of the fence or replacing it entirely, the Board agreed with the recommendation of Pat Monaco, Director of Public Works, to replace the entire fence. Replacement cost of $2,987 would come from the operating budget.
· MOTION 15-43 was made by Jeanie Genirs and seconded by Tim Opremcak to spend up to $6,500.00 from the RESERVE line 5-01-LI-R01-C05 – BUILDING MAINTENANCE PROJECTS for installation of an additional electrical sub-panel to provide 42 new circuits (Apex American Electric) pending review by and approval of the architect. The motion passed unanimously.
· The Board discussed participation in the Direct Install grant project through the NJ Office of Clean Energy which the Township will be applying for and indicated an interest in participating in the project when the timing is right.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Mary Jane reported on the New Jersey State Income Tax check-off designed to create a public library support fund that would be distributed in accordance with the State Library Aid Law.
E. Personnel—Kippy Piedici
F. Policy—Mary Jane McNally
MOTION 15-44 was made by Jeanie Genirs and seconded by Tania McCabe to adopt the Unattended Children Policy as revised. The motion passed unanimously.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Kippy reported that bid packets are available for Phase 2 of the Library’s Space Reorganization project. No one picked up a packet at the recent bid meeting, but they are available online. The bid opening will be Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015.
· Phase 1 of the project is complete but for a few finishing details. Technical Services and ILL have moved into the renovated space.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
Tim reported that he, Ruth, Jonathan, and Ryan met regarding the Library’s website. Specifically, the committee is addressing problems associated with the outdated version of Drupal and revising the website design.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
John thanked Lorraine Pires for volunteering to serve on the Board.
9. OLD BUSINESS
There is no old business
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 15-45 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to approve the Library’s 2016 Holiday and Closing Schedule. The motion passed unanimously
· MOTION 15-46 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to approve the Library’s closing at 12:00 p.m. Wednesday, December 23, 2015 in accordance with Township practice. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 15-47 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to adopt the 2016 Library Board Meeting schedule as amended. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 15-48 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to adjourn the meeting at 8:50 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., December 16, 2015.