Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
May 27, 2015
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Jeanie Genirs, Lisa Marshall, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Jonathan Vidler, and Eileen Walsh
Absent: John Carpenter and Tania McCabe
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 15-17 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Lisa Marshall to approve the minutes of the April 29, 2015 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Kippy introduced Supervising Reference Librarian Karen Vaias who demonstrated features of the 3M Cloud Library, the Library’s new source of downloadable ebooks. The Library staff is building its 3M Cloud Library collection and is considering options that will make the 3M product more accessible to our patrons. This presentation will count toward fulfilling the trustee training requirement.
7. EXECUTIVE SESSION
· MOTION 15-18 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Tim Opremcak to go into executive session to discuss personnel matters at 8:00 p.m.
· MOTION 15-19 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Tim Opremcak to come out of executive session at 8:12 p.m.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· MOTION 15-20 was made by Jeanie Genirs and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adopt the resolution acknowledging the hiring of Ellen Ryan as Supervising Librarian of Children’s Services effective August 1, 2015. The motion passed unanimously.
· MAIN’s new executive director, Phillip Berg, will start on June 15, 2015.
· The upgrade to Polaris, the Library’s catalog and circulation system, went very smoothly.
· Ruth is in the process of identifying a book to be placed in the Library in memory of Richard Fiander, former Board of Trustees president, who died recently.
· The New Jersey Library Trustee Association’s Annual Meeting will be Saturday, September 12, 2015 at Monroe Public Library.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Jeanie Genirs
· Jeanie reported that monthly spending is as expected.
· MOTION 15-21 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adopt the allocation changes proposed as of May 27, 2015 to the Library Reserve Capital Projects. The motion passed unanimously.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· The Friends’ Annual Fund Drive appeal letter has been mailed to all township residents. To date the appeal has raised $7,800; 30% of this from new donors.
· The Friends’ table on Charter Day, Saturday, May 16, 2015 was very successful.
· The next meeting of The Friends will be August 10.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
· Jonathan and Ruth met regarding capital projects, especially the leaky roof and noisy air ducts in the program room.
· A consultant from Unitemp has been brought in to suggest corrections for excessive airflow noise.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Eileen Walsh
Ruth has identified a candidate for the position in Technical Services formerly held by Yumei Shih and presented a resolution for the board to adopt. MOTION 15-22 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Lisa Marshall to memorialize the hiring of Carolyn Moschello as Part-time Shelver in Technical Services. The motion passed unanimously.
Mary Jane and Ruth are continuing to work on revisions to the Membership Policy. They will meet again early in June.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Space Reorganization
o Ruth reported that she is waiting to hear from Anthony Iovino regarding Phase 2.
o Ruth shared a proposed room layout for Phase 1, which focuses on the Technical Services area. Staff members have met several times to review the quotes and designs.
· Succession Plan. Personnel committee will meet to consider this issue, which deserves additional attention because of Ellen Stork’s resignation.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
· Tim met with Ryan McCloskey, Jonathan Vidler, and Ruth Monday, May 4, 2015 to review the findings of the Digital Edge Initiative assessment.
· Tim stressed the need to work on a technology continuity plan.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 15-23 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to close the Library Friday, September 18, 2015 so that staff members could take part in staff development training and attend the Township’s employee service awards ceremony. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 15-23 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Eileen Walsh to adjourn the meeting at 9:03 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., June 24, 2015.