Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
March 25, 2015
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:34 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Jeanie Genirs, Lisa Marshall, Tania McCabe [arrived 7:35 pm], Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Jonathan Vidler, and Eileen Walsh
Absent: John Carpenter
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 15-11 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Lisa Marshall to approve the minutes of the February 25, 2015 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that she is on target for hiring Donna McArthur for the part-time Library Assistant – Marketing, Communications and Programs position. Donna will start April 13, 3015 and work 16-hours a week.
· Reference Librarian Lynne Hilf’s article on the Library’s observance of Money Smart Week is the lead article in the Spring issue of New Jersey Libraries, the NJLA Newsletter.
· Ruth and the Library staff have completed the annual State Report and submitted it to the State Library.
· Leisure Learning is up and running. Registration is close to that of past years.
· The Knit a Square project collected 528 squares that will be shipped to Africa to help AIDS orphans.
· The Library celebrated NJ Makers Day Saturday, March 21 with offerings for all age groups throughout the day.
· The first event of National Library Week will be a concert by NashEast, a Nashville-style country band, Sunday, April 12, 2015.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Jeanie Genirs
Jeanie reported that she and Ruth have met. With the exception of the general repair line, spending is close to track. Ongoing HVAC issues will continue to bear watching.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· The Friends of the Library sponsored a tremendously successful Chinese Festival celebration in the Mount Prospect School Gym on Sunday, March 1, 2015. Despite snowy weather, close to 500 people attended the event. About 50 indicated an interest in learning more about the Friends.
· Lisa alerted the Board that there will be a sign up to volunteer for the Friends table at Charter Day, Saturday, May 16, 2015.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Jonathan continues to review capital projects in the building. He and Ruth recently reviewed installation of heaters for the mechanical closets and programming the control system as proposed by Unitemp to avert a repeat of the freezing situation experienced on January 8.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Eileen Walsh
MOTION 15-12 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adopt a resolution acknowledging the appointment of Donna McArthur as part-time Library Assistant – Marketing, Communications and Programs. The motion passed unanimously.
Mary Jane and Ruth have met to start work on revising the Membership Policy. They will meet again to consolidate several smaller policies that fall under this larger umbrella.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Ruth reported that the library staff is moving ahead with Phase 1, the reorganization of the room currently housing the Technical Services Department staff and the IT manager. She and a staff committee have been in touch with four consultants and are almost ready to proceed.
· Tania reported that she and Ruth met with Township Purchasing Agent Francis Decibus and architect Anthony Iovino to discuss development of the next phase. Among the topics addressed were the role of a project manager, the development of a staging plan, and funding.
· MOTION 15-13 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Tim Opremcak to accept the proposal for preparation of plans and bidding documents for Space Reorganization Project Stage 2 with costs not to exceed $18,400. The motion passed unanimously.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
Tim has met with Ryan McCloskey to update the Technology Plan adopted in 2013. Among the items to be addressed are determining what is strategic and what is tactical, automating inventory control, developing a business continuity plan so the Library can function in an emergency, and standardizing printers.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 15-14 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to adjourn the meeting at 8:50 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., April 29, 2015.