Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
June 24, 2015
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Jeanie Genirs, Lisa Marshall (arrived 7:36), Tania McCabe, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Jonathan Vidler, and Eileen Walsh
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. SHORT TAKES FOR TRUSTEES VIDEO: WORKING WITH FRIENDS
Ruth introduced a video entitled “Working With Friends” that explains how library Trustees and Friends can work together effectively. Watching this video, produced by United for Libraries, will count toward fulfilling the Trustees’ training requirement
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 15-25 was made by Jeanie Genirs and seconded by Lisa Marshall to approve the minutes of the May 27, 2015 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
7. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Kippy reported that she has formed a committee to review and make recommendations regarding the Trustees bylaws.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that the reserve lines have been reallocated as voted on last month.
· Township Purchasing Agent Francis Decibus has advised the Ruth that the Library’s gross receipts from the Township’s recent online auction of surplus items were $176. The net will be credited to the Library reserve fund,
· Summer reading clubs for all ages--children, teens, and adults--are off to a busy start.
· Ruth expanded on her meeting with members of the Chinese community at Bill Lu’s home. The meeting was very productive and resulted in several suggestions for both collection and program development.
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Jeanie Genirs
Jeanie reported that monthly spending is tracking as expected. The general repair line is the only one to keep an eye on.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· The Friends’ Annual Fund Drive appeal letter has been mailed to all township residents.
· The next meeting of The Friends will be August 10, 2015.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Kippy Piedici
· Kippy reported that the committee met and updated the succession plan.
· MOTION 15-26 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Eileen Walsh to adopt a Resolution honoring Ellen Stork upon her retirement. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 15-27 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to adopt the revised Gifts Policy. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 15-28 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by John Carpenter to adopt the Circulation Policy as amended. The motion passed unanimously.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Ruth and the committee met with Project Architect Mel Sarkor-Clinton from Arcari + Iovino to review preliminary drawings for Phase 2. The Board will see more specifics in September.
· Ruth shared a quotation for Phase 1, which focuses on the Technical Services area. Although the quote exceeds the cap approved in October 2014, it covers items not included in the original plan. MOTION 15-29 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to approve expenditures not exceeding $51,881.81. The motion passed unanimously.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
· Tim met with Ryan McCloskey, Jonathan Vidler, and Ruth. The committee reviewed the business continuity plan and discussed items to be included in the operating budget.
· The committee also reviewed the findings of the Digital Edge Initiative assessment and will continue to analyze what we need to do going forward.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 15-30 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to cancel the July and August Board meetings. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 15-31 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adjourn the meeting at 8:41 p.m. The motion passed unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., September 30, 2015.