Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
February 25, 2015
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Jeanie Genirs, Lisa Marshall [arrived 7:39 p.m.], Tania McCabe, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Jonathan Vidler, and Eileen Walsh
Absent: John Carpenter
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 15-08 was made by Eileen Walsh and seconded by Jeanie Genirs to approve the minutes of the January 28, 2015 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· President Kippy Piedici announced the composition of the Board standing and ad hoc committees:
o Finance – Jeanie Genirs, Lead; Kippy Piedici; Jonathan Vidler
o Friends Liaison – Lisa Marshall, Lead; Kippy Piedici
o Land & Building – Jonathan Vidler
o Legislation & Advocacy – Mary Jane McNally
o Personnel – Eileen Walsh, Lisa Marshall, Kippy Piedici
o Planning – Marketing – Kippy Piedici
o Planning – Space Reorganization – Tania McCabe, Lead; Jonathan Vidler
o Policy – Rotating among trustees
o Technology – Tim Opremcak
· Kippy indicated the need to set goals for the year including proceeding with the strategic plan and working with the Friends.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that she had carried out the staff changes in the Technical Services department and elsewhere that she had outlined at the January meeting.
· Ruth advertised for the 19-hour / week Library Assistant – Marketing, Communications and Programs position. To date she has interviewed four candidates.
· Karen Vaias has been accepted to attend a Leadership Development Training program provided by staff from Rutgers and the Township that will take place in 2015 and 2016.
· Leisure Learning programming has been set for the Spring semester and registration brochures will mailed by the end of the week.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Jeanie Genirs
Jeanie met with Ruth and is becoming familiar with the Library’s accounts and reports.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
The Friends will sponsor a Chinese Festival special event in the Mount Prospect School Gym on Sunday, March 1 from 1:00 to 3:00pm. The group plans to have festive cultural activities including a performance by a lion dance team.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Jonathan will review capital projects underway.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Eileen Walsh
Ruth reported that she is close to convening the personnel committee to review the succession plan.
Mary Jane will meet with Ruth to revise the Membership Policy.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Kippy reported that Tania will assume the lead on this sub-committee.
· Ruth reported that the library staff is moving ahead with Phase 1, the reorganization of the room currently housing Technical Services Department staff and the IT manager.
· Phase 2 needs additional discussion with Township Purchasing Agent Francis Decibus, the architect, and Ruth before bidding documents can be developed.
· The group discussed the need for a project manager.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
Tim discussed some ideas and plans based on the topics in the Director’s Report.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 15-09 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Tim Opremcak to close the Library Saturday, April 4, 2015 to allow for cleaning the HVAC ducts and the carpets. The motion passed unanimously.
· Ruth presented an overview of the Library’s budget to orient Board members to the areas covered by the various lines. She also reviewed operating lines that might be a cause for concern.
· MOTION 15-10 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adjourn the meeting at 9:00 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., March 25, 2015.