Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
April 29, 2015
Kippy Piedici called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Jeanie Genirs, Lisa Marshall, Mary Jane McNally, Kippy Piedici, Jonathan Vidler, and Eileen Walsh
Absent: John Carpenter, Tania McCabe, and Tim Opremcak
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin and Noah Ginter
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 15-15 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Lisa Marshall to approve the minutes of the March 25, 2015 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Kippy introduced Noah Ginter, the President of the Friends of the Library.
· Kippy reported that Ellen Stork, Supervising Librarian of Children’s Services is resigning for purposes of retirement effective July 31, 2015.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that Donna McArthur has started her part-time Library Assistant – Marketing, Communications, and Programs position. She is settling in well and becoming acclimated to the library’s tools and plans.
· Congratulations are extended to Jane McArthur who recently received an Emergency Medical Service Length of Service Award from the Somerset County Freeholders for 30 years of volunteer service on the Basking Ridge First Aid Squad. During the week of April 6th, she and the squad responded to two calls at the library.
· Ryan McCloskey is working on analyzing the results of the Digital Edge Initiative assessment and will report his findings soon.
· The Township Committee approved the 2015 Township budget and moved 2013 operating reserve items to Unallocated Reserve. We will need to take a look at the unallocated reserve and make recommendations.
· The Library is working on building its 3M Cloud Library collection to make up for the loss of access to Overdrive. Library staff is considering some options that will make the 3M product more accessible to our patrons.
· The Library’s participation in NJ Makers Day, Saturday, March 21, 2015 was a great success. Children, tweens, and adults were engaged in activities ranging from DIY Lightbulb experiments to a mosaic making craft.
· NashEast, a Nashville-style country band, kicked off the Library’s celebration of National Library week with a very well received concert Sunday, April 12, 2015.
· The Library is proceeding with Phase 1 of the Space Reorganization portion of the Strategic Plan. Staff members will evaluate proposals and quotes from consultants covering the incorporation of the ILL Department into the office space currently occupied by Technical Services staff.
· An architect from Arcari + Iovino will be in the building next week to work on Phase 2, which focuses on reorganization of the first floor.
· Kippy and Mary Jane will accompany Ruth to the MUF dinner Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at the Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel & Conference Center.
· Ruth has been invited to attend the AAUW dinner Tuesday, May 12, 2015, when she will receive $3,500, which is the Library’s share of the AAUW Book Sale proceeds. AAUW requests that this money be spent on materials that support issues relating to women and girls.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Jeanie Genirs
Jeanie reported that she and Ruth have met and will meet again to discuss allocation of the reserves.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· Lisa and Noah Ginter reported on the Friends activities. The Friends Annual Fund Drive appeal letter is in process and will be mailed to all township residents before Charter Day.
· The Friends are revamping their website and plan on doing a re-launch.
· Noah has set up a Doodle to solicit volunteers who will work at The Friends’ table on Charter Day, Saturday, May 16, 2015.
· The next meeting of The Friends will be 7:00 pm, Monday, May 11, 2015.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
· Jonathan and Ruth met regarding capital projects, especially the leaky roof.
· Jonathan described the need to renovate Program rooms A and B to address noisy air flow and replace damaged ceiling tiles. A consultant from Unitemp has been brought in to suggest corrections for excessive airflow noise.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Mary Jane mentioned that she would email the Board with information describing how to participate in ALA’s Virtual Library Legislative Day observed during the week of May 4-8, 2015.
E. Personnel—Kippy Piedici
Covered in the President’s and the Director’s reports.
Mary Jane and Ruth have met to start work on revising the Membership Policy. They will meet again to consolidate several smaller policies that fall under this larger umbrella. This is a work in progress.
G. Strategic Plan—Kippy Piedici
· Marketing Plan – New hire Donna McArthur has started working on several aspects of this initiative.
· Succession Plan – This issue will receive additional attention because of Ellen Stork’s resignation.
H. Technology—Tim Opremcak
Tim will meet with Ryan McCloskey, Jonathan Vidler, and Ruth Monday, May 4, 2015 to review progress on the Technology Plan that was adopted in 2013.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 15-16 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to adjourn the meeting at 8:27 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., May 27, 2015.