Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
September 17, 2014
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Jonathan Vidler, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Absent: John Carpenter, Lisa Marshall, and Tom Russo
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 14-34 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to approve the minutes of the June 25, 2014 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously with Tim Opremcak and Kippy Piedici abstaining.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Tim alerted the Board to the upcoming vote to approve changes to MAIN’s bylaws.
· Because of the number of ongoing projects, Tim proposed that the Board add July and August meetings to its 2015 calendar if needed.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported on the successes of new programming efforts.
· Library Card Sign-up Day was a huge success with 775 people visiting the Library that day. To date, 825 people have exchanged their old Library cards for new ones.
· Ruth Lufkin and Kippy Piedici attended the Township Committee meeting Tuesday, September 9 at which the Township Committee passed a resolution acknowledging the Library and recognizing September as Library Card Sign-up Month.
· Summer Reading programs for all ages were very popular and well covered in The Bernardsville News.
· Surekha Latha Arekatla will start work on September 22 as a 12 hr/week Library Assistant in the Children’s Library.
· Ryan McCloskey’s role as co-chair of the MAIN Technology Committee is growing as that committee responds to the loss of county funding.
· Library staff participated in a staff development morning Friday, September 19 followed by the Township Service Recognition luncheon. Marcia Lubansky, Debra Merghart, and Ryan McCloskey were honored for 10 years of service; Deborah Miller was recognized for 15 years of service.
· Ruth reported that she received notification that this year’s State Aid check will be $11,584, slightly less than last year.
· Bernards Township’s MAIN assessment is expected to be $29,538 in 2015.
· Because the Library is part of a newly-awarded Township contract for telephone service, the Library’s 2015 phone service charge will be reduced by 75%.
· The Fall 2014 semester of Leisure Learning has begun with 425 people registered; 47% of the registrants are from Bernards Township.
· Karen Vaias and Ryan McCloskey continue to refine the BT Library App.
· New stationery and promotional materials were designed and produced in anticipation of Library Card Sign-up Day.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Leslie reported that although spending is a little ahead of the anticipated to-date target, there are no major budget issues.
· Unspent funds of $11,107.92 from 2013 were transferred to the Reserve account in July.
· The 2015 Budget development process has started.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
The Friends will meet Monday, September 29 to discuss fundraising ideas. They are looking for a volunteer to assume the Secretary position.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
While completing the HVAC controls project, the contractor discovered work that needs to be done for maintenance. MOTION 14-35 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Kippy Piedici to spend up to $30,000 from Reserve Funds - Building Maintenance Projects for modifications and repairs to the HVAC system to address issues uncovered and spotlighted by the HVAC Controls system installation. The motion passed unanimously.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Included in Director’s Report
Eileen discussed the Board Reference Guides relating to HR and finances and emergency closings, specifically the policy guiding how staff members are paid in the event of a delayed opening or early closing.
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici
MOTION 14-36 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to spend up to an additional $10,000 from Reserve Funds - Marketing and Partnerships for implementation of the branding calendar. The motion passed unanimously.
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler
Because the Arcari & Iovino quote came in higher than expected and because several months have passed since the Board last discussed the space assessment project, the Board decided to ask Anthony Iovino to meet to readdress the proposal, particularly focusing on Phase 1, so we can move the discussion ahead.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin
Included in the Director’s Report
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
Included in the Director’s report
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 14-37 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Leslie Workman to approve the proposed Bernards Township Library 2015 Holiday and Closing Schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 14-38 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Leslie Workman to adjourn the meeting at 9:37 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., October 22, 2014.