Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
October 29, 2014
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lisa Marshall, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici [7:42], Tom Russo (by phone), Jonathan Vidler, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Absent: John Carpenter
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 14-39 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Eileen Walsh to approve the minutes of the September 17, 2014 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Tim suggested that the Board table the Board Reference Guide for now because other projects need attention first.
· Tim asked for volunteers to work with him on revisiting the Board of Trustees Bylaws. Mary Jane McNally, Kippy Piedici, and Eileen Walsh volunteered.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth announced that Betty Garrett will retire on January 1, 2015 after 26 years of service.
· Surekha Arekatla, the new 12-hour assistant in the Children’s Department, is working out well.
· Karen Olivari is now Karen Andriolo.
· Ruth, Ryan McCloskey, and Jackie Barber found the Cyber Security Seminar at Town Hall to be very informative and are developing strategies to share this information with other staff.
· The HVAC projects are progressing. Unitemp has replaced a compressor and completed other infrastructure work.
· The lights are back on in lower parking lot.
· Township Human Resources Officer Jill Searing is retiring January 15, 2015. Terri Johnson will assume the HR position in addition to her role as Chief Financial Officer.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Leslie reported that although spending is slightly ahead of the anticipated to-date target (83% spent; 80% year has passed), there is no cause for concern.
· Leslie reviewed our reserves. Currently, we have almost $1.2 million in reserves and $300,000 in bequests.
· The 2015 Budget development process is underway. For the first time, figures are being entered directly into Edmunds.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
The Friends will meet Monday, November 3.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Included in the Director’s Report.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Tim stated that the Board needs to look at the role of the Personnel Committee.
MOTION 14-40 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to adopt the Policy on Inclement Weather and Other Emergency Closing. The policy guides how staff members are paid in these circumstances. The motion passed unanimously.
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici
The marketing and branding work performed by contract graphic designer Jill Work was received very well. The Library will be looking to strengthen its efforts in and use of social media.
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler
Anthony Iovino of Arcari + Iovino met with Board members on October 15, 2014 to readdress the proposal, particularly focusing on Phase 1. He prepared a sequence of tasks to guide our process. Motion 14-41 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Leslie Workman to proceed with Stage 1 at a cost not to exceed $45,000. The motion passed unanimously.
Motion 14-42 was made by Mary Jane McNally to and seconded by Eileen Walsh to ask Arcari + Iovino for a quote to prepare a more detailed construction document in preparation for Stages 2 and 3A. The motion passed unanimously.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin
H. Technology — Mary Jane McNally
Included in the Director’s report
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
Congratulations were extended by Tim and others to Tom Russo for his appointment to the Township Committee effective October 14, 2014.
9. OLD BUSINESS
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 14-43 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Leslie Workman to approve the MAIN Membership Agreement. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 14-44 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Eileen Walsh to adjourn the meeting at 8:48 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., November 19, 2014.