Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
November 19, 2014
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lisa Marshall (by phone), Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Jonathan Vidler, and Eileen Walsh
Absent: John Carpenter, Kippy Piedici, Tom Russo, Leslie Workman
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 14-45 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Eileen Walsh to approve the minutes of the October 29, 2014 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that she continues to receive positive feedback about Library programming.
· The Library will receive $279.82 from the auction of surplus equipment organized by Township Purchasing Agent Francis Decibus.
· Marcia Lubansky and Ryan McCloskey have been doing the work necessary to implement BookLook and Smart Search, two new features of the mobile app.
· Ruth reported that The Bernardsville News published a letter by Karen Vaias on the successful summer reading program.
· Ruth and Ryan attended an HVAC control training session. Members of the Department of Public Works were also trained. The UniTemp schedule still needs to be adjusted before everything will function smoothly.
· Repairing the electrical line powering the lower level parking lot will cost the Library $2,928.80.
· Weeding continues to free up shelf space throughout the Library.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Ruth reported for Leslie that although spending is slightly ahead of the anticipated to-date target there is no cause for concern.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· The Friends of the Library have attracted some new core members who are interested in working on fundraising projects.
· The Friends are investigating having a banner that would be used for displays and exhibits such as Charter Day.
· Noah Ginter has been elected President of the Friends for 2015. Joe Ryder will continue as Treasurer.
· The next meeting of The Friends will be Monday, February 9, 2015.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Included in the Director’s Report
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Tim reported that the Policy Committee is reviewing Personnel responsibilities.
Eileen reported that the Policy Committee has met to review proposed updates to the Board Reference Guides covering financial and personnel issues.
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici
Ruth reported for Kippy that the committee is developing job descriptions and assigning responsibility for marketing tasks to flesh out the branding calendar.
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler
Anthony Iovino has recommended furnishing consultants to work with Ruth and the Library staff on Phase 1. He is re-working bidding documents for the construction phase and plans to have them ready by the December Board meeting.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
Included in the Director’s report
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 14-46 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Eileen Walsh to close the Library at 12:00 pm on Wednesday, December 24, 2014. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 14-47 was made by Eileen Walsh and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to adopt the Library Board’s 2015 meeting schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 14-48 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Lisa Marshall to pay from Reserve Funds (Space reorganization – Prof Services) an invoice from Arcari + Iovino in the amount of $750 to cover services relating to the space reorganization project, specifically making the October presentation and developing the project schedule.
· MOTION 14-49 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Eileen Walsh to adjourn the meeting at 8:12 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., December 10, 2014.