Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
May 28, 2014
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:31 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Jonathan Vidler, and Eileen Walsh
Absent: Lisa Marshall, Tom Russo, and Leslie Workman
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 14-26 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Eileen Walsh to approve the minutes of the April 30, 2014 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Tim asked Eileen Walsh, chair of the Nominating Committee, for the committee’s report. Eileen made MOTION 14-27 to accept the nomination of Kippy Piedici for Vice-President. The motion passed unanimously.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth answered questions regarding two items in her report: implementation of employee background checks and replacement of the MAIN router.
· Ruth informed the Board that former program director Phyllis McGuinness died after a lengthy illness.
· The new Library cards have arrived and the Library staff is developing a plan to introduce them.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Tim reported for Leslie that there are no major budget issues.
· Township Administrator Bruce McArthur has set up separate accounts for the Library’s Reserve Allocation.
· Bruce McArthur suggested splitting the reserve between operating and capital expenses. MOTION 14-28 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Kippy Piedici to make the adjustment recommended by Bruce McArthur.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· Ruth reported that The Friends met May 12, 2014 and discussed its support of the Library’s space reorganization projects. The Friends determined that they could commit to a lower figure and, with some additional fundraising, could approach the upper level.
· The Friends had a lively presence at Charter Day, Saturday, May 17, 2014. Information about the Library’s new app was particularly appealing to passersby.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Mary Jane reported that A1314/S1803, a bill to make a voluntary contribution for the support of local libraries on gross income tax returns, has passed the Legislature and is on the Governor’s desk.
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici
o Kippy and Ruth met and are developing a plan to coordinate various initiatives, including signage and hiring a consultant to assist with marketing tasks.
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler
o Ruth reported that she has sent a letter to Acari + Iovino requesting that they draft a bidding package for the space reorganization plan.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
Included in the Director’s report
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
Kippy reported that the MUF dinner was a good opportunity to network with directors and board members of neighboring libraries.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 14-29 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Eileen Walsh to adjourn the meeting at 8:05 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., June 25, 2014.