Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
March 26, 2014
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Lisa Marshall, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Tom Russo, Jonathan Vidler, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 14-14 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Tom Russo to approve the minutes of the February meeting, which had been rescheduled to March 3, 2014, as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Tim referenced the recent NJLTA newsletter and encouraged Board members to attend NJLTA Trustee training.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth turned the meeting over to Supervising Reference Librarian Karen Vaias and Information Technology Manager Ryan McCloskey who demonstrated progress to date on the Library app they are developing using Boopsie. This project was partially funded by a LibraryLinkNJ grant.
· Ruth reported that the Teen Advisory Board (TAB) Summit attracted 13 teens and four adults from four libraries.
· The Morris Union Federation (MUF) Annual Dinner will be Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at Hamilton Park. Ruth will distribute registration information as soon as it arrives.
· Artwork from the Zimmer Preschool is on display in the Children’s Library.
· Ruth read a letter from a satisfied library user who especially praised the friendly staff and Leisure Learning.
· MOTION 14-15 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Leslie Workman to allow the sale of books at the June 17, 2014 book signing by author, Dr. Kalyan Ray. The motion passed unanimously.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Leslie reported that expenses are on track.
· MOTION 14-16 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Kippy Piedici to approve a change order in the amount of $7,460 for the ongoing HVAC controls project. The motion passed unanimously.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
The Friends expect to have a presence at Charter Day, Saturday, May 17, 2014.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Mary Jane referred to her emailed update on NJLA Library Advocacy Week, Legislative Day, and recent proposed legislation pertaining to libraries.
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Eileen reported that she plans to take a wholistic look at the policy manual as she proceeds with updates. Her goal is to move the manual online.
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici
o MOTION 14-17 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by John Carpenter to adopt the March 2014 version of the Marketing Plan and supporting documents, including the Brand Standards and Toolkit, developed by The Ivy Group. The motion passed unanimously.
o The Marketing subcommittee will continue to work refining the checklist that maps recommendations by timeline and staffing responsibility.
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler
Ruth reviewed the Arcari + Iovino report and the Space Assessment Subcommittee’s recommendations of project phasing and cost. The Board discussed the cost of developing plans and examining funding sources.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
Leslie directed Board members to the report that she emailed earlier.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 14-16 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Eileen Walsh to approve the proposed By-Laws amendment. The motion carried unanimously.
· MOTION 14-17 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Tom Russo to adjourn the meeting at 8:57 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 30, 2014.