Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
June 25, 2014
Treasurer Leslie Workman called the meeting to order at 7:38 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Mary Jane McNally, Lisa Marshall, Tom Russo, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Absent: Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, and Jonathan Vidler
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 14-30 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Eileen Walsh to approve the minutes of the May 28, 2014 meeting as corrected. The motion passed with Lisa Marshall and Leslie Workman abstaining.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Leslie reported that President Tim Opremcak has asked Eileen Walsh to prepare a document delineating the responsibilities of the Library Director and the Board, as they relate to financial matters and human resources/staffing issues. Eileen will be consolidating information found in various documents to provide clarification and a quick reference guide for Ruth and the Board.
· Leslie checked the availability of Board members to attend future regularly scheduled meetings.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth answered questions regarding the summer reading program. To date 571 children, 71 teens and 61 adults have signed up.
· Ruth has been working with Human Resources Officer Jill Searing to set appropriate staff increments.
· The Morris County Freeholders have approved MAIN’s Strategic Plan.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Leslie reported that the budget is on track with no unusual spending occurrences.
· Bruce McArthur has set up separate accounts that will help with tracking the Library’s Reserve Allocation.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· A group of the Friends will meet July 1, 2014 at 6:00 pm in the Library to discuss fundraising options.
· The Friends have met and approved bylaws.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
The NJ State Legislature is proposing an additional 3 million to the state library per capita aid program for public libraries in the upcoming state budget. The legislature will take final action by Monday, June 30. This funding is extremely important to public libraries.
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici
Ruth reported that the one person who responded to the request for a comprehensive marketing initiative selected parts of the project to work on. Ruth intends to go ahead with the print items that can be contracted for with a purchase order.
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler
Arcari + Iovino responded to Ruth’s request for architectural drawings and bid documents addressing the space reorganization. MOTION 14-31 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Lisa Marshall to consult with the Township Purchasing Department to send this proposal out to bid.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 14-32 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Leslie Workman to close the Library Friday, September 19, 2014 so that staff members could take part in staff development training and attend the Township’s employee service awards ceremony. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 14-33 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Eileen Walsh to adjourn the meeting at 8:11 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., September 17, 2014.