Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
January 29, 2014
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:37 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Lisa Marshall (by phone), Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Tom Russo, Jonathan Vidler, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 14-01 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Leslie Workman Carpenter to approve the minutes of the December 18, 2013 as written. The motion passed with Kippy Piedici and Tom Russo abstaining.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Tim asked Eileen Walsh to present the report of the Nominating Committee [Eileen Walsh, Lisa Marshall, Jonathan Vidler]. Eileen led a discussion of the bylaws, term limits, and the role of the Treasurer.
· MOTION 14-02 was made by Eileen Walsh and seconded by John Carpenter to accept the following slate: President, Tim Opremcak; Treasurer, Leslie Workman; and Secretary, Mary Jane McNally. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 14-03 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to adopt the following resolution in compliance with the “Public Contracts Law and Regulations” confirming a contractual relationship with Baker & Taylor, Inc. for the purchase of books and other library materials for more than $36,000 during 2014. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 14-04 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by John Carpenter to adopt the Township of Bernards Employee Handbook of Personnel Policies and Procedures as amended and re-adopted on January 2, 2014 as the employee handbook for all library employees. The motion passed unanimously.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth stated that she had changed the format of her report, consolidating departmental reports into one document organized along major strategic themes.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· The Library is operating with its temporary allocation until the Township budget is finalized in the spring.
· Ruth will meet with Leslie and Tim to review reserve allocations, including capital budget items, in preparation for Board discussion later in the year. Leslie spoke about the desirability of keeping 20% of our reserves.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· The Friends of the Library will meet 7:00 pm, Monday, February 10, 2014. Nancy Eberhardt, Director of Pro Bono Partnership, will make a presentation on “Fundraising Basics for Public Libraries and Supporting Organizations.” Tim encouraged all Board members to attend.
· The Friends Fundraising subcommittee will meet to brainstorm fundraising activities. Two new members of the Friends have experience with capital campaigns.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Jonathan stated that there is nothing major to report; some minor issues being addressed.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally, Leslie Workman
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Eileen Walsh presented the Use of Program Rooms by Community Groups and Organizations Policy. MOTION 14-05 was made by Tom Russo and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to adopt the Policy as presented. The motion passed unanimously.
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler.
Jonathan and the Board discussed how to fund and plan for Phase 1.
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici.
o Kippy reported that The Ivy Group has finished drafting the marketing plan. Ruth and Jackie will distribute the plan to Board members within a day or so. Kippy requested that Board members read the plan and direct their questions and comments to her by Monday, February 10.
o The Marketing subcommittee will meet to tweak the final document and map recommendations by timeline and staffing responsibility.
o Kippy then led the board through a discussion and vote to adopt a new mission statement, vision, tagline and logo.
o MOTION 14-06 was made by Tom Russo and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to adopt the proposed new mission statement. The motion passed unanimously.
o MOTION 14-07 was made by Tim Opremcak and seconded by Eileen Walsh to adopt the proposed vision. The motion passed unanimously.
o After two rounds of voting, MOTION 14-08 was made by Tom Russo and seconded by Eileen Walsh to adopt the “Sparking…” tagline series. The motion passed unanimously.
o MOTION 14-09 was made by Tom Russo and seconded by John Carpenter to adopt green as the lead color of the new logo. The motion passed unanimously.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo.
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
The committee met. The announcement of Nancy Eberhardt’s presentation is included in the Friends of the Library report.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin.
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 14-10 was made by Tom Russo and seconded by John Carpenter to adjourn the meeting at 9:10 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, February 26, 2014.