Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
Rescheduled date March 3, 2014
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:37 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Lisa Marshall, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Tom Russo, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Absent: Jonathan Vidler
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 14-11 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Tom Russo to approve the minutes of the January 29, 2014 meeting as amended. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Tim mentioned that the Board will address the proposed Bylaws revision in March.
· Tim distributed 2014 Library-wide goals, which had been developed by Ruth and Library supervisors, for Board members to comment before formalizing them in March.
· Tim also laid out a tentative plan for the focus of future Board meetings. March, space reorganization; April, reserves; and May/June, funding.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that Ellen Stork is interviewing candidates for a part-time Library Assistant position in the Children’s Department.
· The HVAC controls installation project is almost finished. The controls are in place and Unitemp expects to make the final connections by the end of week.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Leslie reported that the expenses seem to be normal. The Library is operating with its temporary allocation until the Township budget is finalized in the spring.
· Ruth, Tim and Leslie have started to work on a plan for our reserves.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· The Friends of the Library met Monday, February 10, 2014. Nancy Eberhardt, Director of Pro Bono Partnership, made a presentation on “Fundraising Basics for Public Libraries and Supporting Organizations.” The Friends are still looking for a volunteer with expertise in marketing.
· The Friends expect to have a presence at Charter Day, Saturday, May 17.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
Mary Jane referred to her emailed update on NJLA Library Advocacy Week and recent proposed legislation pertaining to libraries.
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Included in the Director’s report.
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Space—Jonathan Vidler
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici.
o Kippy reported that The Ivy Group is revising the marketing plan to incorporate comments and suggestions proposed by Staff and Board members.
o The Marketing subcommittee met to map recommendations by timeline and staffing responsibility.
o Kippy distributed a branding calendar to introduce the new logo and color scheme. MOTION 14-12 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Tom Russo to spend up to $10,000 to implement items on the proposed branding calendar.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo.
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin.
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
Township Budget will be introduced Tuesday, March 11, 2014.
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 14-13 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adjourn the meeting at 8:18 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, March 26, 2014.