Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
December 10, 2014
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lisa Marshall, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Tom Russo, Jonathan Vidler, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Absent: John Carpenter
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 14-50 was made by Lisa Marshall and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to approve the minutes of the November 19, 2014 meeting as written. The motion passed with Kippy Piedici, Tom Russo, and Leslie Workman abstaining.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Tom Russo and Leslie Workman are not returning to the Board next year. Tim thanked both of them for their service on the Board and thanked Leslie for her service as Treasurer the past two years.
· Tim appointed Lisa Marshall and Eileen Walsh to the nominating committee. Lisa asked any Board member who is interested in an office to reach out to her.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth Lufkin reported that she and Mary Jane McNally attended the Fall Morris Union Federation (MUF) meeting Monday, November 17, 2014 in Morristown. She also informed the Board that the Spring MUF dinner meeting will be May 6, 2015 at the Wyndham Hamilton Park.
· Eighty five people attended the Ridge High School A Cappella Choir program Monday, December 8, 2014 at the Library.
· Ryan McCloskey is working with Library Aware, the newsletter vendor to rectify the high bounce rate of eNewsletters and eblasts.
· Despite foul weather, the Township’s first Winter Market, organized by the Basking Ridge Business Alliance, Saturday, December 6 was successful. Library attendance was on par for a Saturday.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Leslie opened her final report as Treasurer by stating that spending is near target.
· Development of the 2015 Budget continues. Indications are that funding for 2015 will increase by 3.12%. Leslie hoped that meant that we had bottomed out.
· Finally, Leslie thanked the Board for the opportunity to serve as Treasurer. She commended Ruth for her understanding of the spending patterns and requirements. She pointed to the reserve analysis as a key accomplishment and thanked the Township Committee for setting up a responsive process for tracking spending of the reserves.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· The Friends have ordered a banner that will be displayed in Library’s lower level and that also can be used to publicize the Library at special events such as Charter Day.
· Bill Lu, a new member of The Friends, hosted a meeting at his home of people interested in the Library. The group is exploring a Lunar New Year celebration.
· The next meeting of The Friends will be Monday, February 9, 2015.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
ALA’s Washington Office launched a new District Dispatch blog that highlights federal legislation and policy news that affects libraries. This is designed to alert libraries to legislative news more quickly.
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Tim reported that the Policy Committee continues to examine and refine personnel responsibilities.
Eileen reported that the Policy Committee had met to review proposed updates to the Board Reference Guides governing financial and personnel matters. MOTION 14-51 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to accept the summary of roles and responsibilities for financial matters. With Leslie Workman abstaining, the motion passed.
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici
o Ruth reported that the graphic artist is wrapping up the last few things related to branding.
o A recent retirement has given Ruth the flexibility to put together a proposal that will address communications marketing responsibilities.
· Space Reorganization—Jonathan Vidler
Ruth reported that she received information from Arcari + Iovino too late for inclusion at this meeting. Township Purchasing Agent Francis Decibus is reviewing the documents and the topic will be on the January Board agenda.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
Ryan McCloskey has been in communication with Chris Barone, Bernards Township Schools Director of IT, regarding software requirements for Bernards Township students to access the sites that they need.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
· The Township Reorganization meeting will be 7:00 pm Friday, January 2, 2015.
· Tom Russo thanked the Board for the opportunity to serve the past two years.
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 14-52 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to adopt the resolution honoring Elizabeth P. Garrett on her retirement from the Library with 26 years of service.
· MOTION 14-53 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adjourn the meeting at 8:06 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., January 28, 2015.