Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
April 30, 2014
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Lisa Marshall, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici (arr. 7:56 p.m.), Tom Russo, Jonathan Vidler, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin, Bruce McArthur
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 14-20 was made by Tom Russo and seconded by Eileen Walsh to approve the minutes of the March 26, 2014 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· MAIN continues to phase out Morris County support and reorganize as an independent entity. MAIN will be making changes to DigitalLibraryNJ, the service that gives access to ebooks and downloadable audiobooks.
· Bernards Township Library participated in the Raritan Valley Federation of Libraries activities marking National Poetry Month. Twelve patrons submitted poems to the 2nd annual poetry anthology and many of the poets participated in the poetry reading held at the Library April 24, 2014.
· The Bernards Township Library app is available. Early adopters are exploring its capabilities.
· New Library cards featuring the Library’s new logo are on order and should arrive next week.
· The Morris Union Federation (MUF) Annual Dinner will be Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at the Wyndham Hamilton Park in Florham Park.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Leslie reported that the 2014 budget has been completely fleshed out. A $45,000 shortfall is possible.
· Leslie also reviewed plans for allocating the Library’s reserves. She presented several options for fund allocation and the Board discussed how different patterns would affect the reserve fund.
· MOTION 14-21 was made by Tom Russo and seconded by Lisa Marshall to approve the allocation of reserves for 2014 as presented in the spreadsheet. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 14-22 was made by Tom Russo and seconded by John Carpenter to pursue a two-phase approach to space reorganization and authorizing Lisa Marshall to approach the Friends of the Library for their support as outlined in Scenarios B and D. The motion passed unanimously.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
Lisa reported that The Friends of the Library will meet Monday, May 12, 2014. The Friends expect to have a presence at Charter Day, Saturday, May 17, 2014.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
MOTION 14-23 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Tom Russo to approve Change Order #3, previously authorized by the Township Committee, in the amount of $2,100 for the ongoing HVAC controls project. The motion passed unanimously.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally
· Mary Jane reported that there is a move to eliminate funding for the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS). This would have an adverse effect on the many databases we offer the public through IMLS grants awarded to the New Jersey State Library.
· Leslie reported that she and Ruth accompanied NJLA Executive Director Pat Tumulty on visits to New Jersey legislators in support of the library community during National Library Week.
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler
Included in Treasurer’s report
· Technology Services—Tom Russo
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
Leslie directed Board members to the Fundraising Committee report that she had emailed earlier. The content of this report was covered in the earlier discussion of reserve funds.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
Included in the Director’s report
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
John thanked both Human Resources Officer Jill Searing and Township Administrator Bruce McArthur for their presentation on Employment Practices Compliance that preceded the Board meeting.
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· Kippy reported on her investigation of a possible vice president position. MOTION 14-24 was made by John Carpenter and seconded by Tom Russo to institute the position of Vice-President as permitted by the bylaws and to ask the nominating committee to solicit candidates. The motion passed with the following vote: 6 yes, 1 no, 1 abstention.
· MOTION 14-25 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by John Carpenter to adjourn the meeting at 9:10 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 28, 2014.