Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
September 25, 2013
Treasurer Leslie Workman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lisa Marshall, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak (by phone), Kippy Piedici, Tom Russo, Jonathan Vidler, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Absent: John Carpenter
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
Ed Gould reported that the Friends are looking for more active members to serve on their board, specifically in the positions of Charter Day Chair and Secretary.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 13-29 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to approve the minutes of the July 1, 2013 regular meeting; the August 7, 2013 special meeting; and the August 26, 2013 special meeting. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Tim thanked Scott Spitzer for his service to the Board as Township Committee Liaison and welcomed John Carpenter to the Board in that capacity.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that there have been a few changes to the circulation staff. In response to recent resignations, the Library hired two new staff members and adjusted the staffing and allocation of hours at both the adult and children’s circulation desks.
· Ruth has started the 2014 budget development process working under the assumption that funding will be flat.
· Summer reading clubs for all age levels experienced a busy, successful summer.
· Because of the courtroom renovation, the Township Committee and various boards have been meeting at the Library.
· Ruth hopes that a timetable will be available soon for the HVAC controls project.
· Trustee Academy, training for Library Board Trustees, is still available courtesy of State Library funding. Ruth encouraged Board members to take advantage of it.
· MUF Fall meeting will be 4pm November 4, 2013 at Morristown & Morris Township Library. Ruth invited any Board member who is available to attend.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Leslie gave Ruth templates for reporting budget activity.
· Leslie reported that 71% of the year has passed and 73% of the budget has been expended. We are on target.
· $78,261.37 has been moved from 2012 unexpended funds to the Library Reserve Account.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
Lisa Marshall reported that approximately 30 people attended the June 27, 2013 social at The Ridge Tavern that was designed to attract more people to join the Friends of the Library. The Friends are looking for new fundraising ideas. Their next meeting will be Monday, November 11, 2013.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Covered in the Director’s report
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally, Leslie Workman
Mary Jane reported that legislation has just been introduced to provide a supplemental appropriation of $3 million to the State Per Capita Aid Program. The Assembly Bill is A4449 and the Senate Bill is S2978.
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Included in the Director’s report
Eileen, Ruth and Jackie are working on Tab 8 Program Room policies and procedures.
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
Tim asked for a review of the strategic plan sub-committees.
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler. Anthony Iovino of Arcari + Iovino will present a report immediately after the Board meeting.
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici. Kippy reported on two key meetings:
o The Visioning Meeting, September 19, 2013. Library staff and Trustees met with The Ivy Group to brainstorm marketing ideas and to review concepts for a logo.
o The Library Vision and Mission drafting workshop either October 15 or October 22, 2013 depending on the availability of invitees. Library Supervisors will develop an initial list of concepts for consideration and Jacquelyn Ridzy will facilitate.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo. Ryan McCloskey will send a draft of the technology plan to the committee for review and comment.
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman. Strategies include working with the Friends and developing a plan to use bequests and gifts to implement strategic plan projects.
· Staffing and Leadership—Tim Opremcak. Ruth is working with Bernards Township Human Resources Officer Jill Searing to develop a succession plan.
H. Technology —Mary Jane McNally
Included in the Strategic Plan subcommittee report
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· Mary Jane circulated the Township’s annual Statement of Interest to all Board members asking if they were interested in continuing their service on the Board.
· MOTION 13- was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adjourn the meeting at 8:02 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, October 30, 2013.