Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
October 30, 2013
Treasurer Leslie Workman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Lisa Marshall, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak (by phone), Kippy Piedici (by phone), Tom Russo, Jonathan Vidler, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 13-31 was made by Tom Russo and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to approve the minutes of the September 25, 2013 as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Included in both the Director’s report and strategic plan reports.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Two recently hired circulation staff members have completed orientation and are active members of the circulation team.
· Library staff participated in a Staff Development morning Friday, October 25, 2013. Karen Choie, Ellen Stork, and Jacqui Ridzy presented sessions focusing on the Customer Service theme; Marcia Lubansky, Karen Olivari, Karen Vaias and Ryan McCloskey presented on the Terrific Tech theme. Ruth shared a State of the Library message.
· Three Library staff members received Township Service awards: Yumei Shih and Ellen Ryan for five years of service and Betty Garrett for 25 years of service.
· The Library hosted the Open Enrollment and Health Benefits Fair for Township Employees on Wednesday, October 9, 2013. Ruth presented “Terrific Things a Township Employee Can Do With a Library Card.”
· Ryan McCloskey connected the Library with Rutgers MBA students to work on a project marketing databases and other online resources
· The Bernards Township Regional Chamber of Commerce met at the Library to present information on the Affordable Care Act in relation to small business.
· Sadly, there is no timetable yet for the HVAC controls project.
· The water main replacement project on South Maple Avenue has made accessing the Library challenging. Library staff members have been working to minimize the effect on patrons.
· Program Coordinator Jacqui Ridzy will leave the Library late November to assume a position at Rutgers University libraries. Ruth communicated with those parties likely to be concerned to assure them of the Library’s continued commitment to programs and services.
· The MUF Fall meeting will be Monday, November 4, 2013 at the Morristown & Morris Township Library. Mary Jane will accompany Ruth.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Leslie reported that 81% of the year has passed and 82% of the budget has been expended. We are on target.
· $10,000 has been spent on electrical work to remedy the overloaded circuits discovered this summer.
· The Township’s equalized valuation suffered only a .21% decrease.
· Ruth and Leslie will review the budget along with reserve funds for next month.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· Lisa Marshall reported that the next meeting of The Friends of the Library will be Monday, November 11, 2013.
· Six new people have expressed interest in joining the Friends, including one who is willing to assume the secretarial role.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Included in the Director’s report
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally, Leslie Workman
Mary Jane reported that there is no news on legislation introduced to provide a supplemental appropriation of $3 million to the State Per Capita Aid Program. The Assembly Bill is A4449 and the Senate Bill is S2978.
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Included in the Director’s report
Ruth presented a Materials Reconsideration form for the Board to review. It will be voted on after revision.
G. Strategic Plan
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler. Anthony Iovino of Arcari + Iovino made a presentation to the Board after the September 25 meeting. Jonathan Vidler and Ruth are working to develop a schedule for the project that will have the least effect on Library staff and patrons.
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici.
o Jacqui Ridzy facilitated the Library Vision and Mission drafting workshop with the Trustees on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 that built on ideas generated at the Library Supervisors session.
o Ruth and Jacqui will further refine these Vision and Mission Statements which will complement and facilitate the marketing plan being developed by the Ivy Group.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo. Deferred to Old Business
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman. Will reconvene early in November to review progress.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin. Covered in Director’s Report.
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
Included in Old Business.
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
John Carpenter was welcomed and introduced himself to the Board.
9. OLD BUSINESS
Tom Russo reviewed the Bernards Township Library Technology Plan January 2013 – December 2016 which was drafted by Ryan McCloskey in conjunction with the technology committee. The plan will be voted on next month.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 13-32 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adjourn the meeting at 8:58 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, November 20, 2013.