Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
November 20, 2013
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:34 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Tom Russo (by phone), Jonathan Vidler, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Absent: Lisa Marshall
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 13-33 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Tom Russo to approve the minutes of the October 30, 2013 as amended. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Included in both the Director’s report and strategic plan reports.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Program Coordinator Jacqui Ridzy has given notice and will leave the Library Friday, November 22 to assume a position at Rutgers University libraries. Jacqui has been working with Ruth to ensure a seamless continuation of existing programs, especially the Spring 2014 semester of Leisure Learning. Jacqui’s departure has provided Ruth with an opportunity to review the existing staffing and to formulate a plan for the future.
· The Library’s 2014 Budget request, which is under development, is down slightly from last year because the Township’s equalized valuation is down 0.21%
· Ruth announced that the Library’s application to LibraryLinkNJ for a $3,750 grant to develop a mobile app was successful. This app will increase the Library’s ability to communicate information and provide services to users.
· The Rutgers MBA students working with Ryan McCloskey on marketing strategies have developed pop-up ads on the Library’s website to promote databases and other online resources.
· The Somerset Hills YMCA will host a luncheon at the Library Friday, November 15 to introduce their initiative on preventing child sexual abuse.
· Ruth reviewed the history of Leisure Learning enrollment, in particular the conditions that led to the imposition of registration restrictions in 2011. At that time, the fee for out-of-town registrants was raised to $75 while the fee for residents was held at $25. Currently, registration is approximately 375, significantly down from a high of 750+. Ruth proposed opening up registration, but capping it at 500, with preference given to Bernards Township residents.
· MOTION 13-34 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Kippy Piedici to expand Leisure Learning enrollment as outlined by Ruth.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
· Ruth has been working with Terri Johnson, the Township’s Chief Financial Officer, to compile information necessary to complete the 2014 Budget request. We are waiting for details regarding salaries/wages.
· Spending is on target.
· Leslie requested any budget items related to implementation of the Strategic Plan be submitted to Ruth ASAP.
· After the budget is completed, Ruth and Leslie will review reserve funds.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
· Ruth reported for Lisa on The Friends of the Library meeting Monday, November 11, 2013. Five new people attended including two who have experience in fundraising and non profits and one who was willing to assume the secretarial role.
· The Friends’ Annual Fund Drive, which was mailed to all township residences, has resulted in $36,047 to date. This preliminary figure is $2,200 above the total result of the 2012 drive. The mailing also resulted in a good number of first-time donors.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Included in the Director’s report
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally, Leslie Workman
Nothing to report
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Ruth will offer the Adult Program Coordinator position to Maureen Norton. Currently, Maureen is a Senior Library Assistant and part-time Children’s Programming Coordinator. The Library would then need to fill the Children’s programming position.
Eileen commented on the Materials Reconsideration form that Ruth had presented for the Board to review. She will work on revising the procedures and present them for Board approval soon.
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler. Jonathan Vidler and Ruth are working on the details and developing a schedule for the project that will have the least effect on Library staff and patrons. This timeline will probably be ready early January. The Friends of the Library are interested in supporting the effort.
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici.
o Ruth has been working to narrow down possible logos and taglines.
o Kippy presented the Vision and Mission Statements that Jacqui Ridzy had crafted from the concepts generated by the focus groups. The Board provided feedback to use in further refining the statements.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo. Deferred to Old Business
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
o Lisa Marshall is working with the Friends as the Board liaison.
o Eileen and Ruth reviewed grant application process and are satisfied that we are maximizing this funding source.
o The funding strategy dimensioned would use reserve funds and bequest money first, then turn to the Friends as for fundraising. If needed, the next step would be to run a capital campaign through the Friends, as has been done in the past.
o The group will investigate having an expert report to the Board concerning fundraising and/or legal structures for this at a future meeting.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin. Ruth’s report will be ready for the December Board meeting.
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
Included in Old Business
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
9. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION 13-35 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to approve the Bernards Township Library Technology Plan January 2013 – December 2016 which Tom Russo reviewed last month. The motion passed unanimously.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 13-36 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Leslie Workman to approve the Library closing at 12:00 pm on Tuesday, December 24, 2013. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 13-37 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Kippy Piedici to approve the Library’s 2014 Holiday and Closing schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 13-38 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Eileen Walsh to approve the 2014 Library Board Meeting Schedule. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 13-39 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Kippy Piedici to adjourn the meeting at 9:16 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, December 18, 2013.