Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees

of the Bernards Township Library

March 20, 2013

 

 

1.     CALL TO ORDER

President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.

 

 

2.     SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER

In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.

 

 

3.     ROLL CALL

Present:  Lisa Marshall, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Eileen Walsh and Leslie Workman

Absent:  Tom Russo, Scott Spitzer and Jonathan Vidler

Also Present:  Ruth Lufkin

 

 

4.     PUBLIC COMMENT

There were no members of the public present. 

 

 

5.     APPROVAL OF MINUTES

MOTION 13-08 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded Leslie Workman to approve the minutes of the February 27, 2013 meeting as written.  With Tim Opremcak abstaining, the motion passed unanimously.

 

 

6.     PRESIDENT’S REPORT

No report.

 

 

7.     DIRECTOR’S REPORT

·         Ruth reported that training for supervisors on the new Performance Management Process will start tomorrow.  Ruth was able to arrange for Human Resources Officer Jill Searing to offer three training sessions for staff at the Library.  The first of these sessions will be next week.  Staff evaluations will be completed using this new process by the first week of May.

·         The Library’s Annual Report was submitted to the State Library on time.

·         The Library has subscribed to new language-learning service, Pronunciator.  This tool has great flexibility, offering instruction in 72 languages. 

·         The Library has discontinued its subscription to Freegal because it was not used enough to justify the cost.

·         VITA, the volunteer tax preparation service for low-income and elderly taxpayers, is in full swing. 

·         Ruth invited all Board members to the annual Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast, Friday, May 3, 9:30 am in the Library.

·         Thanks to the hard work of Library staff led by Jackie Barber, the Library passed its recent safety inspection with flying colors.

·         Ruth distributed invitations to the annual MUF Dinner, which will be Wednesday, May 1 at Hamilton Park Conference Center.

·         The updated proposal for HVAC controls submitted by the consultant needs further study before Ruth can present it to the Board for action. 

·         Ruth read a thank you from Rana Slosberg, who conducted a well-attended program, “Finding Colleges That Fit You.”

 

 

8.     COMMITTEE REPORT

A.    Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman

Leslie Workman reported that actual figures have been plugged into this year’s budget lines.  Leslie and Ruth are developing a plan for the Library reserve account and expect to present a proposal to the Board next month.

 

B.    Advocacy—Leslie Workman

Leslie reported that she has been in touch with NJLA Executive Director Pat Tumulty.  S1358, legislation that would define the referendum process a municipality must follow to dissolve a municipal public library, will be presented for a final vote tomorrow.

 

C.    Friends of the Library Liaison—

The Friends’ next meeting will be Monday, April 29. 

 

D.   Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler

Covered in the Director’s report.

 

E.   Legislation—Mary Jane McNally

Mary Jane reported on the Governor’s announcement that all library funding will be flat for next year.  This includes funding for the state per capita aid program, the New Jersey Library Network, and the operating budget for the State Library. 

 

F.   Personnel—Tim Opremcak

Included in the Director’s report. 

 

G.   Policy—Kippy Piedici

Kippy presented the following three items for Board to review in preparation for a vote at the April meeting:  a draft revision of the Copyright Policy, a draft revision of the Computer and Internet Acceptable Use Policy, and an update to the Policy Book Introduction page.

 

H.  Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak

Tim asked for a review of the strategic plan sub-committees.

·         Ruth reported on Space Assessment.  The Library will be issuing an RFP to a list of consultants versed in the space needs of libraries.  The plan is to hire someone by the end of May who will work over the summer.

·         Kippy Piedici addressed the next step to be taken by the Marketing and Partnerships initiative.  After discussing three options available:  hiring a consultant, taking advantage of pro bono local talent, and capitalizing on possible personnel changes, the group indicated the initial desirability of hiring a consultant.  Kippy asked Ruth about the possibility of approaching The Ivy Group for a quote to do a Marketing plan.  Others who may be available for assistance are Tiffany McClary, the New Jersey State Library’s Director of Marketing, and Kathy Dempsey, a library marketing expert.  The basic question of “What do we envision?” remains.  Lisa Marshall reviewed the results of her research and shared some ideas for soliciting additional information from trustees and staff.  Ruth will call Kathy Dempsey for help with the mission, vision, and logo.

 

I.    Technology—Mary Jane McNally

Ryan McCloskey is arranging to visit Ridge High School to learn about the technology in use there.

 

J.    Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer

No report.

 

 

9.   OLD BUSINESS

Tim clarified the thinking behind the proposed Bernards Township Library Trustee job description and moved the Board vote on this item to next month. 

 

Leslie revisited the idea of combining the Advocacy and Legislative committees because their functions are complementary.  MOTION 13-09 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Kippy Piedici to combine the Advocacy and Legislative committees into a Legislative Advocacy Committee.  The motion passed unanimously.

 

10.  NEW BUSINESS

·         Kippy reported that she attended the State Library podcast explaining “EveryoneOn,” a national campaign to promote digital literacy organized by Connect2Compete.  Bernards Township Library is set to participate. 

·         MOTION 13-10 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Lisa Marshall to adjourn the meeting at 8:50 p.m.  The motion carried unanimously.

·         The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 24, 2013, but may be changed depending on Board Members' availability.