Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
Rescheduled date July 1, 2013
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lisa Marshall (arrived 7:38), Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Jonathan Vidler, and Eileen Walsh
Absent: Tom Russo, Scott Spitzer, and Leslie Workman
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin, Ed Gould, and Ryan McCloskey
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
Ed Gould reported that to date the Friends of the Library Fund Drive has yielded $18,700, $8,000 from first-time donors.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 13-20 was made by Eileen Walsh and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to approve the minutes of the May 29, 2013 meeting as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Tim suggested that the format of reports to the Board from staff supervisors should , in future, focus on accomplishments, next steps and anticipated issues.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ryan McCloskey shared with the staff information he acquired at the NJ Library Assistants’ conference - “60 Apps in 60 Minutes.”
· Ryan McCloskey worked with a student volunteer to update e-devices. He also installed external hard drives to back up staff and public servers.
· Summer Reading is under way! To date 41 Adults, 89 teens, and 620 children have registered. Magician Mike Rose’s kick off program was extremely well attended.
· The Bernardsville News ran an article on the Library’s efforts focusing on the space assessment and marketing initiatives.
· The media conversion fundraiser attracted orders from 18 people.
· The building specs for the HVAC controls system are not yet ready to be put out to bid.
· An electrician is working to correct the electrical circuitry upstairs.
· Repairs to the carpeting on the stairs have been completed.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
Ruth reported that 46% year has passed and 53% of the budget has been expended. One-time municipal charges account for the difference.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
Lisa Marshall reported that approximately 30 people attended the social at The Ridge Tavern June 27 which was designed to attract more people to join the Friends of The Library. The Friends were pleased with this outreach.
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Covered in the Director’s report.
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally, Leslie Workman
Mary Jane reported that the state budget has been approved and all library funding for next year will be flat. This includes funding for the State Per Capita Aid program, the New Jersey Library Network, and the operating budget for the State Library.
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
MOTION 13-21 was made by Mary Jane McNally and seconded by Kippy Piedici to go into closed session at 8:18 pm to discuss personnel matters. MOTION 13-22 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Lisa Marshall to come out of closed session at 8:23 pm
Eileen met with Ruth and Jackie to begin review of Program Room policies and procedures (Tab 8).
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
Tim asked for a review of the strategic plan sub-committees.
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler and the subcommittee met with representatives from Arcari + Iovino when they looked around the library.
· Marketing and Partnerships –The Board hopes to meet with The Ivy Group early in September, there being no strong rationale for waiting until after the Space Assessment presentation.
· Technology Services—Ryan McCloskey. Ryan reported on the committee’s work to date. He is working on the technology plan. Initiatives include communicating with other subcommittees and reaching out to other entities including Verizon, Apple, and Microsoft.
· Funding Strategies Leslie will meet with Ruth and other members of the committee.
H. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
9. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION 13-23 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Lisa Marshall to approve the Bernards Township Library Trustee job description.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 13-24 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to close the Library October 25, 2013 so staff members could take part in staff development training and attend the Township’s employee service awards. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 13-25 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Eileen Walsh to adjourn the meeting at 9:12 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, September 25, 2013.