Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
December 18, 2013
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:33 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: John Carpenter, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Jonathan Vidler, Eileen Walsh, and Leslie Workman
Absent: Lisa Marshall, Kippy Piedici, and Tom Russo
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin (by phone)
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public present.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 13-40 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by John Carpenter to approve the minutes of the November 20, 2013 as written. The motion passed unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· Tim suggested that updates to the strategic plan be presented as reports.
· Board and library staff will provide goals and objectives by January for approval in February.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that Maureen Norton will assume the Coordinator of Adult Programs position Monday, January 6. In the meantime, Mady Roese is leading the monthly day-time book discussions and Jackie Barber is handling the program room scheduling.
· Library supervisors attended Leading Together, a leadership training organized by Bernards Township Human Resources Officer Jill Searing for all Township supervisors. This event was held at the Library Thursday, December 12.
· The 2014 Budget preparation continues. Bernards Township’s MAIN assessment is up from 2013.
· The Children’s department is making an effort to mount programs in support of the current Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) educational initiative.
· Bernards Township Library will be one of four sites for a statewide Teen Advisory Board (TAB) Summit in March.
· The Library has hosted the last of the relocated Township Committee, Planning Board, Sewerage Authority, and Zoning Board meetings. Now that renovations to the Town Hall meeting room have been completed, these groups are able to return to their usual meeting place. Overall, this relocation has been a good opportunity for the Library to welcome members of our governing bodies and the public in a different way.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Leslie Workman
The year is almost over and spending is on target.
B. Friends of the Library Liaison—Lisa Marshall
C. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
D. Legislation & Advocacy—Mary Jane McNally, Leslie Workman
Mary Jane distributed descriptions of two pieces of legislation:
o S2978/A4449 proposes a supplemental appropriation of $3 million for increased Per Capita Aid
o S2846 would require municipal approval for library capital projects.
E. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Included in the Director’s Report and Strategic Plan report.
Eileen presented the Use of Program Rooms Policy and Procedures. She will work on revising the procedures and present them for Board approval soon.
G. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
· Space Assessment—Jonathan Vidler.
Jonathan is aiming to have a project timeline by January.
· Marketing and Partnerships—Kippy Piedici.
o Tim distributed the proposed logo and tagline for the Board’s consideration and vote in January. The Board discussed alternatives to the proposed tagline.
o Ruth read a proposed Mission and Vision statement.
· Technology Services—Tom Russo.
· Funding Strategies—Leslie Workman.
The subcommittee has identified Nancy Eberhardt, Esq., an attorney with experience in fundraising and compliance who serves non-profits, including libraries, and plans to invite her to speak to the Board and the Friends in January about strategy and legal structures concerning fundraising.
· Staffing and Leadership—Ruth Lufkin.
Tim distributed an organizational chart that included a proposed part-time Communications/Marketing Coordinator. Maureen Norton’s assumption of the Adult Program Coordinator position will give Ruth the opportunity to evaluate the staffing needs in both Children’s and Adult Programming and Communications/ Marketing.
H. Technology Mary Jane McNally
I. Township Committee Liaison—John Carpenter
John thanked the Library for hosting numerous Township meetings during the recent Town Hall renovations.
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no Old Business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 13-41 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Eileen Walsh to adjourn the meeting at 9:08 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, January 29, 2014.