Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
October 24, 2012
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Scott Spitzer, Erica Studness, and Jonathan Vidler
Absent: Lois Bloom, Rima Khalil, and Leslie Workman
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There were no members of the public.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 12-23 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to approve the minutes of the September 24, 2012 meeting as written. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Covered in the Strategic Plan report.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Luisa Paster, a specialist in training library staff, facilitated a workshop entitled “Communicating With Others” during Staff Development Morning, Friday, September 28. Later that day staff attended the annual Township Service Awards Luncheon. Nine Library staff members were recognized for their years of service to the Library: Ann Babits, Jackie Barber, Jean Simone, Valerie Thornton, and Pete Thurlow for five years; Karen Choie, Vathsala Kumar, Ellen Stork, and Lisa Wernett for fifteen years.
· The preliminary figure for the Library’s State Aid payment in October has been given as $11,859, a 3.44% decrease from last year. The 2013 one-third of a mill budget allocation (based on the 2011 Table of Equalized Valuation) will be $2,251,100.00 or $39,290.00 less than in 2012. The overall effect is a reduction of $40,000 to the Library’s 2013 budget.
· MAIN has revised the formula for assessing membership fees. Bernards Township Library’s fee will increase by $4,648.95.
· The Polaris upgrade will take place tomorrow. The system should be back online by mid-afternoon.
· Karen Olivari posted Thirty (30) Things to do With Your Library Card on the Library’s Facebook page.
· Bernards Township Library will participate in Snapshot Day Thursday, November 1. Snapshot Day is a statewide project designed to capture how busy and valuable libraries are.
· Library volunteers will be recognized Thursday, October 25, at the Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast.
· The Library has applied for an ALA Bridging Culture Bookshelf Muslim Journeys grant. This grant will provide a collection of books, films, and DVDs to the successful applicants. Successful applicants must also agree to provide related programming. Ali Chaudry has agreed to lead a program in April.
· Benches in front of the Library have been refinished by community service.
· The MUF Annual Fall meeting will be 4:00 pm, Thursday, November 8 in the Madison Public Library. Jonathan Vidler volunteered to attend with Ruth.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
B. Advocacy—Leslie Workman
Tim referred to Leslie’s email regarding pending legislation that would define the referendum process a municipality must follow to dissolve a municipal public library.
C. Friends of the Library Liaison—
Next meeting of The Friends will be Saturday, November 3.
D. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Included in the Director’s Report.
E. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
Covered in the Advocacy report.
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Kippy presented a revision of the Library’s acceptable behavior policy for comment. The policy will be voted on at the November Board meeting.
H. Strategic Plan—Tim Opremcak
Kippy presented the Marketing and Partnerships section of the Strategic Plan. There was some discussion surrounding engaging a marketing consultant with expertise in libraries.
I. Technology—Mary Jane McNally
Teen Librarian Karen Olivari spent several hours at Ridge High School Tuesday, October 9, 2012 to promote Text a Librarian and other services aimed at teens.
J. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
The Township is starting to work on capital budgets, a process made more difficult by the budget cap.
9. OLD BUSINESS
There was no old business.
10. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 12-24 was made by Jonathan Vidler and seconded by Erica Studness to adjourn the meeting at 9:10 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees will be 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, November 28, 2012 in the Lower Level Conference Room of the Library.