Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
June 27, 2012
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Rima Khalil, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Erica Studness, Jonathan Vidler and Leslie Workman (arrived 7:55 p.m.)
Absent: Lois Bloom, Mary Jane McNally and Scott Spitzer
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin and Ed Gould, President of The Friends of the Library
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
Ed Gould reported that The Friends had a successful meeting in May and the Friends’ Annual Fund drive mailing has been sent out.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 12-15 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to approve the minutes of the May 30, 2012 meeting as submitted. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Covered in the Strategic Planning report.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· The new file server for staff use is being configured. This will allow more staff collaboration.
· Bathroom inspections have been completed and the final check has been signed.
· HVAC issues continue—an old unit in the Children’s Room has had to be repaired. A design architect has been asked to writea proposal for design of new HVAC Controls that would allow better management of our units. There will apparently be no BPU funding to support the cost of this project.
· MAIN received notice of a lawsuit filed by SIRSI, the predecessor of Polaris, for $300,000 for contract violation. They allege use of more seats than allowed for the life of the contract. There will be a meeting of MAIN directors on June 29, 2012 to discuss a settlement offer. Possible implications include curtailed services from MAIN or a library assessment.
· Planning for the Fall session of Leisure Learning is coming along well.
· Ethics training provided by the Township Attorney was attended by Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Erica Studness and Jonathan Vidler.
8. MOTION 12-16 was made by Rima Khalil and seconded by Erica Studness to go into closed session to discuss personnel issues. The Board returned to open session after 10 minutes.
9. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
B. Advocacy—Leslie Workman
C. Friends of the Library Liaison—
Included in Ed Gould’s report.
D. Land and Building—Jonathan Vidler
Included in the Director’s report.
E. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Included in the Director’s report.
Kippy is working with Ruth regarding the acceptable behavior policy.
H. Strategic Plan—Erica Studness, Tim Opremcak
· Ruth and Tim gave updates on the Strategic Plan. MOTION 12-17 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Jonathan Vidler to adopt the final version of the Plan, as submitted to Ivy Group for formatting.
· Tim formed committees to address priorities identified in the plan: 1.) Space Assessment, 2.) Marketing and Partnerships, 3.) Technology Services, 4.) Funding Strategies, and 5.) Staffing and Leadership. Each of the committees will be composed of Trustees and staff members. By the September Board meeting, each committee will have set priorities for their activities and developed an estimated timeline.
I. Technology—Mary Jane McNally
Included in Director’s report.
J. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
10. OLD BUSINESS
Leslie Workman and Kippy Piedici reported on the New Jersey Library Trustee Institute that they attended June 2, 2012 at the Sheraton Eatontown.
11. NEW BUSINESS
There was no new business.
· MOTION 12-18 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Rima Khalil to adjourn the meeting at 9:16 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees will be 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, September 19, 2012 in the Lower Level Conference Room of the Library.