Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
January 25, 2012
1. CALL TO ORDER
Treasurer Lois Bloom called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Program Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Lois Bloom, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak [8:00 pm], Kippy Piedici, Scott Spitzer, Erica Studness, Jonathan Vidler and Leslie Workman
Absent: Rima Khalil
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 12-01 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Leslie Workman to approve the minutes of the November 20, 2011 meeting as amended. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
· President Tim Opremcak introduced new members Kippy Piedici and Jonathan Vidler and welcomed them to the Board. Tim also welcomed our new Director, Ruth Lufkin and the Board wished her well as she begins her Directorship.
· Tim asked Leslie Workman to present the report of the Nominating Committee. MOTION 12-02 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Erica Studness to accept the following slate: President, Tim Opremcak; Treasurer, Lois Bloom; and Secretary, Mary Jane MaNally. The motion passed unanimously.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth Lufkin reported that she is busy learning the role of Director. She has made a point of meeting with supervisors, both individually and as a group, with a focus on increasing communication among staff members and implementing a teamwork approach.
· Kindles, Nooks, & iPads, Oh My!, a drop in session for help with digital devices, is planned for Tuesday, January 31.
· During the month of February, the Library will collect knitted squares that will be sent to South Africa as part of the Knit a Square: Make a Difference program. The squares are made into blankets for abandoned or orphaned children.
· New Supervising Reference Librarian, Karen Vaias, will start Monday, January 30.
· The lower level bathrooms are open with a few items remaining on the punch list. Demolition is almost complete and sheetrocking is underway in the upstairs bathrooms.
· The roof was inspected by a warranty contractor. The formal report will be submitted later, but the verbal report indicated that the leak originated in the shingled part of the roof dating from 1996-1997, not in the part of the roof redone recently. Repair is unlikely to be covered by warranty.
· Ruth will meet with Pat Monaco, Township Director of Public Works, to discuss services for the Library.
· The Library was closed on Saturday, January 21, due to the snow and forecast of icy conditions.
· Programming is going well. Leisure Learning sessions have been planned and the brochure is complete. The Children's Library anticipates a crowd for Cinderella, Cinderella on January 28.
· The Circulation staff continues to feature displays enhancing circulation.
· Income tax forms are now available for citizens.
· Ryan McCloskey is preparing 12 new computers for installation. Most of them will replace older staff computers.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
The Board reviewed the 2011 Budget and the 2012 preliminary budget. Treasurer Lois Bloom answered questions about the budgeting process.
B. Advocacy—Leslie Workman
C. Friends of the Library Liaison—
Ruth, Anne Meany, and Jacqui Ridzy attended the Friends meeting December 10, 2011.
D. Land and Building—Rima Khalil
Included in the Director’s report.
E. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
Included in the Director’s report.
G. Policy—Erica Studness
H. Strategic Plan—Erica Studness
o Tim encouraged Board members to complete their Trustee surveys and return them to The Ivy Group
o Seventeen key community leaders have been identified; each Board member was assigned a number of leaders to interview.
I. Technology—Mary Jane McNally
Included in Director’s Report
J. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
10. OLD BUSINESS
· The logo redesign is still in the works.
11. NEW BUSINESS
· MOTION 12-03 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Mary Jane McNally adopt the following resolution in compliance with the “Public Contracts Law and Regulations” confirming a contractual relationship with Baker & Taylor, Inc. for the purchase of books and other library materials for more than $29,000 during 2012. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 12-04 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Leslie Workman to adopt the following resolution in compliance with the “Public Contracts Law and Regulations” confirming contractual relationships with Thomson Gale Group for the purchase of books and other library materials for more than $29,000 during 2012. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 12-05 was made by Lois Boom and seconded by Mary Jane McNally to adopt the following resolution in compliance with the “Public Contracts Law and Regulations” confirming contractual relationships with Recorded Books, Inc. for the purchase of books and other library materials for more than $29,000 during 2012. The motion passed unanimously.
· MOTION 12-06 was made by Lois Bloom and seconded by Kippy Piedici authorizing an expenditure of not more than $100 to purchase nametags for Board of Trustees members.
· MOTION 12-07 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Lois Bloom to adjourn the meeting at 9:00 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.