Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees
of the Bernards Township Library
February 29, 2012
1. CALL TO ORDER
President Tim Opremcak called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m. in the Bernards Township Library Lower Level Conference Room.
2. SUNSHINE LAW REMINDER
In accordance with the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Law of 1975, notice of the meeting was posted on the bulletin board in the Reception Hall of the Municipal Building, Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge and the Bernards Township Library Public Notices bulletin board; was mailed to The Bernardsville News, Bernardsville; was filed with the Township Clerk; and was posted on both the Township’s website and the Library’s website.
3. ROLL CALL
Present: Rima Khlil, Mary Jane McNally, Tim Opremcak, Kippy Piedici, Jonathan Vidler and Leslie Workman
Absent: Lois Bloom, Scott Spitzer, and Erica Studness
Also Present: Ruth Lufkin
4. PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
MOTION 12-08 was made by Kippy Piedici and seconded by Leslie Workman to approve the minutes of the January 25, 2012 meeting as submitted. The motion carried unanimously.
6. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
Covered in Director’s Report and Strategic Plan reports.
7. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· Ruth reported that the Library has advertised for a part-time circulation assistant and hopes to fill the vacancy by the end of March.
· Ruth would like to schedule an all-staff meeting either May15th or 22nd with the Library opening to the public at 1:00 p.m.
· Freegal Music, a service that allows a patron to download three songs a week, was recently rolled out and will be promoted.
· Ryan McCloskey is configuring two new patron access computers.
· Knit a Square, a month long effort to collect knitted squares to be made into blankets for AIDS orphans, is a huge success. To date the Library has collected 150 squares to send to South Africa.
· Leisure Learning registration, which opened this week, is off to a brisk start. As of Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 255 people had registered.
· Ruth shared the thank you sent by the Zimmer Preschool class for their visit to the Library.
· Ruth distributed bookmarks made by Ann Babits that promote the Library’s DVDs.
· The Department of Public Works (DPW) recent reorganization has benefited the library. DPW will be more available to make recommendations and secure contractors for various projects.
· The Library has requested quotes for cleaning the HVAC ducts. This job could be completed on a Saturday after the Library closes.
· Other imminent building projects include cleaning the carpet, repairing the roof, and replacing the water heater.
· Ruth reported on the New Director’s Orientation that she attended February 22 and 29, 2012 at the New Jersey State Library.
· Ruth encouraged trustees to attend the 2012 New Jersey Library Trustee Institute that will be held June 2, 2012 at the Sheraton Eatontown.
8. COMMITTEE REPORT
A. Treasurer/Finance—Lois Bloom
B. Advocacy—Leslie Workman
A state budget has been proposed, but there are no details yet on Library funding.
C. Friends of the Library Liaison—
The Friends’ next meeting will be Saturday, May 5, 2012.
D. Land and Building—Rima Khalil
· Work on the upper-level restrooms is continuing. Rima will investigate placing additional waste receptacles in the lower-level men’s room.
· Other building items were included in the Director’s report.
E. Legislation—Mary Jane McNally
F. Personnel—Tim Opremcak
· The Township has developed a new form for employee self assessment that will be included in the supervisor’s overall evaluation.
· Ruth is directing all supervisors to ask their department members for a goals statement.
H. Strategic Plan—Erica Studness, Tim Opremcak
· Trustees’ interviews with community leaders are progressing and will be completed within the week.
· Nancy Davis of The Ivy Group will conduct a Community Forum after analyzing the data collected from the trustee surveys, community leader interviews, and the telephone survey. Nancy will meet with the Board of Trustees and the Friends in the afternoon to present the results, go over the vision and mission statement, and identify guiding questions for the public session. During the public session Nancy will solicit comments on the four or five guiding questions identified earlier.
· The Board decided to hold the Community Forum on March 28th in lieu of a Board meeting.
I. Technology—Mary Jane McNally
Included in Director’s Report
J. Township Committee Liaison—Scott Spitzer
10. OLD BUSINESS
· The logo redesign will be put off until after strategic planning has been completed.
· Ruth revealed lovely magnetic Trustee nametags that will be kept in a box in the Library administrative office.
11. NEW BUSINESS
There was no new business.
· MOTION 12-09 was made by Leslie Workman and seconded by Rima Khalil to adjourn the meeting at 9:00 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
· The next regular meeting of the Bernards Township Library Board of Trustees will be 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 25, 2012 in the Lower Level Conference Room of the Library.